SOLVED Black screen, restart, "It looks like Windows hasn't loaded correctly"

Reaction score
Hey all,

Coming home from work I try to start my PC and it does what I described in the title. Here is what exactly happens:

- Start PC
- See windows Logo + loading dots
- Black screen (for a while)
- Restart

No erros, no beeps, nothing. Then it restarts a couple of time and then I come in the "Recovery" screen with the text: "It looks like Windows hasn't loaded correcty".

I've tried to boot to safe mode, and this works and it seems everything is working correctly. I did a anti-malware test just to be sure and it did not change anything. I also checked if all Windows recognized all the hardware, which it does. Everything looks and works as normal in safe mode.

Also tried the Start-up Repair, but it says it could not find anything wrong. I have no idea what could be wrong, everything worked correctly yesterday. Does someone recognize this issue?

First post and I hope you guys can help me, because I'm lost.

Reaction score
Have you seen any option to boot normally or perhaps cancel the Repair? There have been times when Windows told you it had a problem but did not know it had actually been corrected.

Otherwise, just make sure the bios shows the correct boot device or Windows Boot Manger is primary for the boot depending on your configuration.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Since it runs in Safe Mode but not normal mode, you might want to try......
Instead of going into Safe Mode choose Disable early-launch anti-malware protection and see if that helps you get past the problem.
It could be your Security Suite

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick answers, I appreciate it a lot.

@Saltgrass, I have the option to do nothing and "continue to Windows" but that doesn't do anything. It will do the same.

@Trouble I just tried that option and it makes no difference.

In the meantime, I ran System File Checker scan to see if there were any corrupted files. But that had no results. I also tried to go back to when it was stable with a system restore point. But that also did not help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Then it's probably a driver problem and likely the video driver.

Use Safe Mode, with networking.
Grab this from here http://www.wagnardmobile.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=160&sid=59c817642d104ff7fad13c112e6ccad5
Run Display Driver Uninstaller in Safe Mode to remove the video drivers the default settings are usually appropriate and will prevent Windows from reinstalling a less than optimal driver.
Reboot afterwards in Normal Mode and see if that helps.
IF so, then you need to determine the appropriate driver for your video card and acquire that and install it.

Reaction score
I just ran the Uninstaller from the link, Uninstalled the driver and restarted and it properly start normal windows again! I guess the issue was that Windows updated the driver automatically which caused problems for some reason.

Thanks a lot!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sure thing.
Glad to hear that you've managed to zero in on the problem.
Now you just need to keep Windows Update from re-installing that driver again.
Microsoft has a tool that you can use as a temporary stop-gap
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930
But the best thing you could probably do is to determine the correct driver and get the latest version from the Computer Manufacturer or the actual hardware device Manufacturer.

Ask a Question