Windows 10 Crashes, but no BSOD, screen goes black indefinitely have to restart

Reaction score
So yea, I get this weird crash where my monitor flashes black and then just acts as if there is no video period. It only happens when I play video games. The computer becomes unresponsive to everything CTL+ALT+DELETE etc.. I just have to hold the power button until the system manually powers off. Pretty obvious its dealing with the video driver. I just have no idea how to figure out how to fix it. Please help!

Tried and did not work -

1. I have updated the video driver, in my case Nvidia GTX980, I have done the clean install method when using the installer.
2. Windows Updates
3. Reinstalled games that crash

When going to Reliability Reports in Windows;

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffff978650daa010
Parameter 2: fffff80a4873ce24
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 2eb4
OS version: 10_0_14393
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
OS Version: 10.0.14393.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys_Maxwell_3D
Server information: a498ddd4-34ab-41e7-a257-3179477e4a5f

Reaction score
Since you don't have any dump files, just looking at some of your info seems to suggest it is a video problem, as you suspected. The bug check code 141 means "video engine timeout detected".

It seems the links to troubleshooting Blue Screen errors are no longer working at Microsoft. They have been redesigning some of their sites..

The other part of the info seems to bring up Maxwell 3D. Do you know how that works on your system? Have you checked for updates for that? Are these games that crash older games which may no longer with recent Windows updates?

Could you supply a description of your system and any additional software you install which might be involved with the video situation?

Reaction score
Hi The only video I have in my system is the onboard video which to my knowledge is disabled through bios, and my single EVGA GTX980. I believe Maxwell is in reference to a chip/chipset architecture?

My system is a custom build.

Windows 10 x64
Mobo: EVGA X99FTW (150-HE-E997-KR)
CPU: i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-core 3.3 GHz
GPU: EVGA GTX980 04G-P5-2986-KR 4GB
PS: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 220-P2-100-XR 80+
MEM: G. Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 32GB (4x8GB) 288-Pin, DDR4 PC4 19200

Nothing is overclocked.

The game that crashes consistently is XCOM 2, its pretty new and on steam.

How do I get the dump files for this crash? These crashes?

Reaction score
The X99 boards, as far as I know, did not use processors which had the Intel video capability.

I notice it has a Killer network adapter. Many Dell systems are having problems with the Killer Wi-Fi so you might look into a driver or disable it for testing.

I don't know for sure what the Maxwell 3D is for sure but it does seem to be a rendering software and possibly some other things.

I have two EVGA GTX 980s on my ASUS X99 board and not having any problems with it. I do run Steam games without problems so far.

Reaction score
Thank you Ram1220, In that first link that mentioned Nvidia Nsight Monitor and being able to adjust the TDR from default 2 seconds to 10 seconds has solved my problem completely.

Reaction score
Thank you Ram1220, In that first link that mentioned Nvidia Nsight Monitor and being able to adjust the TDR from default 2 seconds to 10 seconds has solved my problem completely.

You are welcome. Sometimes I get it right. Lol. Thank you for letting us know what worked.

Ask a Question