Windows 10 "crashes" after ethernet cable is plugged in

Reaction score
So this has been an issue for two seperat windows 10 installments. What happens is, that as soon as I plug in, my ethernet cable, both the start menu, search bar, settings menu and plenty of other programs are not accessable after a reboot. They simply do not initiate ones they are clicked.

As soon as I started installing programs and the computer asked me to reboot after a driver installment, it just didn't allow me to use any of the normal features. I went back and uninstalled the programs one by one to see if I had installed one that had either virus or messed with windows 10.

None of them did anything. What did restore my use of the start menu, searcher bar and the computer in general, was to unplug the ethernet cable and reboot. As soon as that happened, the computer was usable again, without the internet of course.

I am able to use the internet and all of the programs I installed such as Spotify and mozilla when the cable is plugged in. They all work as intended, but the rest of the computer is pretty worthless. Also, the file finder/pathfinder as seen in the video, also work as intended.

I am curious to know how the internet connection seem to mess with windows 10.

I have linked a youtube video of the failed click and how the windows 10 behaves when the ethernet cable is plugged in.

Regards

Emil

Reaction score
I installed windows 10 on an SSD with no drivers installed. The computer works fine, the network works fine, the ethernet cable is plugged in, all is well. I then reboot the computer which I am asked to do by several programs (my soundblaster driver, Avast, and more). After the reboot, the problem with the start menu, search bar and system menu begins and the first thought is of course that some of the software og programs I have installed is faulty or messing with windows 10, so I uninstall it all. I then reboot and see if it did anything. I didn't, but I then pull the ethernet cable out, and all of a sudden it all works.

Reaction score
Uninstall AVAST. I had some problems recently where AVAST blocked my PC from updating due to several faulty files of AVAST. After uninstalling I was able to update again.
This may not apply to you but might be worth a try. I have uninstalled every AV software and am using Windows Defender exclusively now...

BTW: The latest Windows version is 1709 16299.192 (204 if you have an AMD CPU).

Reaction score
I have removed every single piece of installed software on the computer. Everything. The computer has only its own drivers, and the videocard driver from AMD. I do not even have the drivers for the AHCI controller, so I can't even access my storage harddrive. I have the latest version og windows 10 1709 :)

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I installed windows 10 on an SSD with no drivers installed. The computer works fine, the network works fine, the ethernet cable is plugged in, all is well. I then reboot the computer which I am asked to do by several programs (my soundblaster driver, Avast, and more). After the reboot, the problem with the start menu, search bar and system menu begins and the first thought is of course that some of the software og programs I have installed is faulty or messing with windows 10, so I uninstall it all. I then reboot and see if it did anything. I didn't, but I then pull the ethernet cable out, and all of a sudden it all works.

You have not answered my question.....what type of install is/are these? Are these a clean install or are they reset install from with in windows?

For any install....especially a clean install (which is a hdd wipe and install of an OS), you have to install all the drivers for the mobo.

Is this a custom build or a OEM retail box PC?

Last edited:
Reaction score
it is a custom build. It is a clean install. The harddrive was made bootable and I installed only the AMD driver for the videocard. If that is what you meant :)

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
So, what you have is a custom build that's using MS generic OS drivers that may or may not work correctly. Which may be the root cause of all your issues.

What mobo do you have?

Reaction score
The ISO is from Microsofts own homepage, and I used RUFUS to make the usb stick bootable. I then went to windows update and got the latest updates. I then went to Asus homepage to get the newest windows 10 BIOS for the motherboard, and went into the BIOS to use their EZ flash utility, but it tells me "bios file failed an integrity check" and a quick search shows that a lot of Asus mobo users are having issues with faulty bios updates.

If it is the lag of the newest BIOS, I cannot fix that until I find a solution on the ASUS forums, but I just thought to begin with, that this was a faulty Windows 10, mostly because of the odd behavior of the start, search- and settings menu :)

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
The ISO is from Microsofts own homepage, and I used RUFUS to make the usb stick bootable.
I would have used the USB method directly from MS...it's a one stop shop and go (install).

Was there a reason to update the BIOS in the first place?

Still haven't told me what mobo make/model you have?

This is how I do a clean install (procedural): I don't connect to the internet during this procedure
1 - wipe the drive
2 - install OS
3 - install drivers from mobo DVD
4 - install add on hardware drivers....ie GPU, sound cards and so on

Once all that is done then I connect to the net (just plug in my LAN cable and get OS updates and run the system like that for a week or two to check system stability.

Reaction score
1. I don't have a dvd drive. Its pretty uncommon actually to have for most people these days.
2. Its a Asus p8p67 Pro
3. The bios update was done mostly because when you visit the webpage of the mobo, you often install whatever new bios or drivers you find and I just found the BIOS update and thought it might help me fix the windows 10 issues. https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8P67_PRO/HelpDesk_Download/
4. Im somewhat tech savvy, but in no way a pro, so I actually thought that there would be a driver update for my standart SATA AHCI-controller which is not working right now.

But imma try your suggestion. I just don't understand why those things fail when I plug in a ethernet cable and reboot

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I don't have a dvd drive.
For most of us that build a PC, we add a DVD drive just for that simple fact of installing mobo drivers from their DVD.

you often install whatever new bios
No....you only update the BIOS if there is a problem with the old BIOS otherwise to run into unnecessary problems.

I actually thought that there would be a driver update for my standart SATA AHCI-controller which is not working right now.
If you would look at your mobo specs a little more closely you would see that it's not fully windows 10 compatible. By that, I mean the lack of drivers for it. Which is what I suspected from the beginning.

just don't understand why those things fail when I plug in a ethernet cable and reboot
You don't have the actual driver for it is why.

Bottom line: You have a mobo that doesn't fully support windows 10 by the way of driver support for your mobo. So you're using the OS's generic drivers. The only full driver support for your mobo is for windows 8.1. Which has your LAN/SATA/Chipset drivers.

You could download the 8.1 drivers and install them in compatibility mode and see if that gets you any where.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Okay then. Thanks for everything! Happy you took the time to run me through it all. I will try to install the drivers for 8.1. Do I find a guide to installing in compatibility mode on the web, or do I just try to install the 8.1 drivers as usual?

Ask a Question