Upon Shutdown or Restart, My Computer will boot into a black screen with no curso

Reaction score
When Restarting or Shutting-down my computer, turning it back on becomes an issue. Upon booting it, I can boot into the BIOS screen fine, and even enter the BIOS, but after the BIOS screen is gone, my computer hangs on the black screen that appears before the windows 10 logo. The only method I know to boot back into windows at this point is to keep force restarting my computer via power button until the Preparing Automatic repair line of text comes up and loads into the troubleshoot menu. From there I normally hit reset and boot into windows 10, my computer then shuts off almost instantly reboots on its own and successfully boots into windows 10. I've had this problem since a couple days after I upgraded, but my system restore points are missing.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I suppose there are any number of potential issues that might be contributing to the problem so....
The question becomes.... where to start.
I suppose if it was me I would begin with the Native Check Disk Utility and run it again the OS drive (all partitions)
Just open an elevated command prompt and type
chkdsk C: /R
and hit enter
answer "Y" when prompted
type
exit
and reboot.
Give it as much time as it takes to finish all five stages.
Check event viewer windows logs, application logs and search for chkdsk to inspect the results.
If it reports any KBs in bad sectors, I would seriously think about replacing the drive.
After that I would hit it with Defrag (Optimize) a couple times.
AND
Double check all your power configuration options with respect to what your buttons do.
I suppose that it's possible that you may think you are shutting it down and instead it is entering a power saving state instead (hibernate, sleep, hybrid sleep, etc.) and not recovering properly.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I suppose there are any number of potential issues that might be contributing to the problem so....
The question becomes.... where to start.
I suppose if it was me I would begin with the Native Check Disk Utility and run it again the OS drive (all partitions)
Just open an elevated command prompt and type
chkdsk C: /R
and hit enter
answer "Y" when prompted
type
exit
and reboot.
Give it as much time as it takes to finish all five stages.
Check event viewer windows logs, application logs and search for chkdsk to inspect the results.
If it reports any KBs in bad sectors, I would seriously think about replacing the drive.
After that I would hit it with Defrag (Optimize) a couple times.
AND
Double check all your power configuration options with respect to what your buttons do.
I suppose that it's possible that you may think you are shutting it down and instead it is entering a power saving state instead (hibernate, sleep, hybrid sleep, etc.) and not recovering properly.

I will do that upon my next time booting into windows but if all else fails I'll have to reload windows 7 onto my computer. I'm very sure that I am not putting my computer in a power saving state however. My chkdsk is giving me an ETA of almost 20 hours, is that normal?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
20 hours is a bit much, unless you have a very, very large drive.
It may be an indication of problems although I have not always found that counter / time tracking information exactly accurate, especially early on in the process.

Reaction score
20 hours is a bit much, unless you have a very, very large drive.
It may be an indication of problems although I have not always found that counter / time tracking information exactly accurate, especially early on in the process.
As it turns out the ETA was just wrong everything is completed and upon opening the event viewer I press find for chkdsk but I'm not getting a report on a log anywhere

fNTVWBl

http://imgur.com/fNTVWBl Here is a picture of my event viewer

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Event Viewer
Left column
Expand Windows Logs
Select Application
From the menu bar select Action -> Find
type
chkdsk
hit enter

Attachments

• ChkDsk.JPG
    ChkDsk.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 856
Reaction score
From my picture you can see I selected the exact same thing yet no results have been found

UPDATE: I bit the bullet and decided to reinstall windows 10, everything began to work fine until randomly my OS crashed, couldn't move mouse everything froze and my computer force reset. After that it booted back into windows, however the probl has returned. I Remember this "OS Freeze" event happening before this issue originally happened as well so I believe the two are linked. After the initial OS freeze it doesn't happen again but the boot problems do. At this point I may have to reinstall windows 7 aa I can't seem to find a clear cut solution.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
From my picture you can see I selected the exact same thing yet no results have been found
Yes, I can see that and that......
Is not a good sign and may indicate that the job did not complete for some reason and may have rebooted without recording the event.

I bit the bullet and decided to reinstall windows 10, everything began to work fine until randomly my OS crashed, couldn't move mouse everything froze and my computer force reset
At this point I'm a bit suspicious of data (system files) corruption.

Do you have the resources, means and requisite skills to remove the drive and attach it to another Windows machine and preform a Check Disk on it from there?

Reaction score
Yes, I can see that and that......
Is not a good sign and may indicate that the job did not complete for some reason and may have rebooted without recording the event.

At this point I'm a bit suspicious of data (system files) corruption.

Do you have the resources, means and requisite skills to remove the drive and attach it to another Windows machine and preform a Check Disk on it from there?

I possess all of these things, besides another system to do a disk check on unfortunately, What I'm going to do is run another chkdsk and see if it records a log, and if not I'm going to downgrade back down to windows 7 and see if any problems continue.

Reaction score
I had a similar problem and resolved it by updating the display driver. Control Panel>Device Manager>Display Adapters>rt-click Display driver name>Update driver software. You may need to do this in Safe Mode with communications.

Reaction score
I had a similar problem and resolved it by updating the display driver. Control Panel>Device Manager>Display Adapters>rt-click Display driver name>Update driver software. You may need to do this in Safe Mode with communications.

How similar was your problem because not many people are experiencing this black screen after the windows loading circles at the bios screen

Reaction score
When Restarting or Shutting-down my computer, turning it back on becomes an issue. Upon booting it, I can boot into the BIOS screen fine, and even enter the BIOS, but after the BIOS screen is gone, my computer hangs on the black screen that appears before the windows 10 logo. The only method I know to boot back into windows at this point is to keep force restarting my computer via power button until the Preparing Automatic repair line of text comes up and loads into the troubleshoot menu. From there I normally hit reset and boot into windows 10, my computer then shuts off almost instantly reboots on its own and successfully boots into windows 10. I've had this problem since a couple days after I upgraded, but my system restore points are missing.
Hi I had the same problem its your graphic driver windows 10 graphic driver faulty go to your manufacturing downloads and roll back get the 8.1 graphic driver and it should solve you're issue let me know how you go?

Reaction score
I have had the same problem of obtaining a black screen with no mouse or cursor after a shut down or reboot or after installing updates to windows 10 (i migrated from windows 7). I have discovered a casual temporary solution that works for me (I have a Dell laptop). If you connect an external display to your laptop you will see the screen and mouse requesting you the sign in password and everythig works well in this external screen (the integrated screen is balck with no mouse). Once there, go to settings, display, and if you choose Win-P in the keyboard you can choose to Extend your screen to a second display. There you can select 1 for the main screen or 2 for the second screen. Select 2 and mark "make this as the main screen". Shut down (no restart). Disconnect the external display. Power on switch to turn on your computer again. This time you will reboot and your internal laptop screen will display as normally should. I was just about to go back to win 7 due to this problem but decided to try win 10 a little longer. To me it seems that when windows 10 boots does not recognize your internal laptop screen and asumes that you have an external that is why you dont see anything in your screen but if you connect an external you will see all there. Now if you instruct windows 10 to define your laptop integrated screen as the main it will work after that. However it will only last until your next reboot or shut down. So I dont use shut down but choose only sleep. But sometimes you have to reboot then I use this temporary solution until a permanent solution is found. I intended to report this to microsoft but i have been unable to do so.
I hope this helps you.

Reaction score
I have had the same problem of obtaining a black screen with no mouse or cursor after a shut down or reboot or after installing updates to windows 10 (i migrated from windows 7). I have discovered a casual temporary solution that works for me (I have a Dell laptop). If you connect an external display to your laptop you will see the screen and mouse requesting you the sign in password and everythig works well in this external screen (the integrated screen is balck with no mouse). Once there, go to settings, display, and if you choose Win-P in the keyboard you can choose to Extend your screen to a second display. There you can select 1 for the main screen or 2 for the second screen. Select 2 and mark "make this as the main screen". Shut down (no restart). Disconnect the external display. Power on switch to turn on your computer again. This time you will reboot and your internal laptop screen will display as normally should. I was just about to go back to win 7 due to this problem but decided to try win 10 a little longer. To me it seems that when windows 10 boots does not recognize your internal laptop screen and asumes that you have an external that is why you dont see anything in your screen but if you connect an external you will see all there. Now if you instruct windows 10 to define your laptop integrated screen as the main it will work after that. However it will only last until your next reboot or shut down. So I dont use shut down but choose only sleep. But sometimes you have to reboot then I use this temporary solution until a permanent solution is found. I intended to report this to microsoft but i have been unable to do

Reaction score
Hi I had the same problem its your graphic driver windows 10 graphic driver faulty go to your manufacturing downloads and roll back get the 8.1 graphic driver and it should solve you're issue let me know how you go?

Ask a Question