Black Screen after high CPU temperature

Reaction score
Today When I booted to windows 10, After some minutes, Suddenly Mouse & keyboard stopped working. I restrated the PC with reset button & went to the BIOS & checked the monitoring section. There I saw that temperature of CPU is too high (more than 80c) & after some seconds, the PC gets shut down autamatically. After some seconds I turned on the PC & go to the monitoring section of BIOS again. The temperature of CPU started from 55c & went up very fast, And when reached to 84c, the PC gets shut down automatically again.

I checked the CPU fan but it was spinning normally, Opened the CPU fan, & I though maybe its bcuz the lack of Thermal grease. Grabbed some Thermal grease and used some over CPU fan. Put back the fan & turned on the PC. But this time, the screen of monitor is black (All black & without any blinking indicator or something) & It won't even goes to the BIOS now. I then removed all the RAMs & tried them one by one, But got no luck. Even changed the GPU, but nothing happened.

CPU: i7 930
MB: AsRock X58 Extreme3
RAM: 2x2GB Corsair (DDR3) + 2x2GB Patriot (DDR3)

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It's possible that when you removed the heat sink and fan from the CPU that you may have loosened the seating of the CPU itself. Remove and reseat it.

It's also possible that you have over applied the thermal compound.
Remove the heatsink and cooling fan again and wipe clean
Remove the CPU and carefully clean all thermal paste from the top using a soft cotton cloth (maybe an old T-shirt. Be thorough but delicate.

Reseat the CPU and reapply the thermal paste, just a small dab directly to the center.
Replace the heatsink and fan making sure that whatever tensioning device is available is tight and secure and to recouple the power lead to the board.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's possible that when you removed the heat sink and fan from the CPU that you may have loosened the seating of the CPU itself. Remove and reseat it.

It's also possible that you have over applied the thermal compound.
Remove the heatsink and cooling fan again and wipe clean
Remove the CPU and carefully clean all thermal paste from the top using a soft cotton cloth (maybe an old T-shirt. Be thorough but delicate.

Reseat the CPU and reapply the thermal paste, just a small dab directly to the center.
Replace the heatsink and fan making sure that whatever tensioning device is available is tight and secure and to recouple the power lead to the board.

I cleaned it & applied new paste again But still the same black screen.

The LED on MB shows 00 number that means there is something wrong with CPU. Also some sections of CPU is a little darker than other parts. Does this mean that CPU is dead?

Reaction score
I would suspect you damaged the cpu. Fortunately you can pick a used one up quite cheap on ebay.

Ask a Question