SOLVED How do I do a black screen blind shut-down?

Reaction score
I was right in the middle of typing a paper & my monitor died. I need to shut the computer down but I'm blind to what is on the screen. Does anyone know how to shut down a desktop with no visual aid? I've done it using Windows 7 Pro but not with Windows 10 Pro. I really hate to crash it just to shut it down. Help please?

Reaction score
Most models will , with windows 10, do a soft shutdown by holding the power button in for a couple of seconds

Reaction score
If you want a full or hard shutdown [also called power off] hold the power button in for more than 6-8 seconds or reach behind the case and pull out the power cord. With newer Notebooks and Tablets you can remove the AC adapter but not the battery like in older models.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Ctrl + Alt + Del
Then
Tab key 7 times
Then
Enter key once
Then
Down Arrow once
Then
Enter key once again

Hope that helps....
Don't rush your keyboard strikes, make sure to pause between each to make sure the system responds to each. Use the Escape key twice (ESC) to start over at any time during the process.
Was a lot easier in Win7 and earlier

Last edited:
Reaction score
Many thanks to all who replied. After some thought I decided to try the post from Trouble Noob Whisperer first & low & behold it worked!! I'm now a big fan of this forum. Thanks to everybody!! Rapscallion55

Ask a Question