Upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 10 help needed

Reaction score
I am upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 10. I have purchased a full retail version of Windows 10. My computer, although old, has been upgraded and has all the correct specs to run the operating system, including a 250gb SSD. My system is 32-bit.

I know I have to do a clean install, and I am following steps to undertake this, one of the first of which is to download the correct version of Media Creation Tool. This is where I'm having problems. I have downloaded and tried to run different versions of the Media Creation tool and keep getting error messages when I try to run Setup.exe. I have tried MediaCreationTool1803 and the Windows 10 ISO (64-bit). Should I be using the 32-bit ISO? I read if I have 4gb RAM I should use 64-bit?

These are the error messages I get from different Setup.exe files:

When downloaded from Microsoft through a Windows 10 computer:

"E:\MediaCreationTool1803.exe is not a valid Win 32 application"

From the purchased Windows 10 Installation Media (32-bit, 64-bit, and main one)

"Windows installation cannot be started from the current operating system. To install Windows, boot from the installation media, or upgrade from a supported operating system and restart the installation"

OR

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

I get a similar message when I use the 64-bit Windows 10 ISO I downloaded.

Will the 32-bit ISO work, or do I need to do something else?

Reaction score
You say your system is 32 bit. So try running the 32 bit versions . 4GB ram is the maximum size that a 32 bit system can use, not a signal that you should run the 64 bit version.

Reaction score
You say your system is 32 bit. So try running the 32 bit versions . 4GB ram is the maximum size that a 32 bit system can use, not a signal that you should run the 64 bit version.
I agree with Tim if your Motherboard/System is 32bit then you'll have to run the 32 bit version of windows.

The media its telling you to boot from the media USB or DVD whatever you have, rather than trying to start the install from within window. Use the media that you have both 32bit and 64 bit, Remember your having to do a clean install, not an upgrade.

Hopefully, you have all your data backed up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Previously Microsoft was offering free Windows 10 upgrades for Windows 7 users i think. You can use that trick if you are able to use the bought windows 10 key.

Reaction score
You have to create a Windows bootable drive for installing the correct windows on your computer. I found this post helpful when i wanted to install windows on my computer.

Reaction score
You must also consider what version of Vista you have. You can only install the similar version of Windows 10

• Windows Vista Starter Edition
  • Windows Vista Home Basic Edition
  • Windows Vista Home Premium Edition
  • Windows Vista Business Edition
  • Windows Vista Enterprise Edition
  • Windows Vista Ultimate Edition

Reaction score
I think the TO has solved that problem as this thread is over two years old

Reaction score
You must also consider what version of Vista you have. You can only install the similar version of Windows 10

• Windows Vista Starter Edition
  • Windows Vista Home Basic Edition
  • Windows Vista Home Premium Edition
  • Windows Vista Business Edition
  • Windows Vista Enterprise Edition
  • Windows Vista Ultimate Edition
Info: WinXP and Vista are not valid Upgrade paths to Win10, only from Win7 or Win8/8.1, would have to be clean installs, probably need to save personal data first, anything that exists nowhere else.

Reaction score
It’s a little old now. But, fwiw, as the original poster had purchased a retail copy, and was using that key, that his problem may have been with the version

Reaction score
I am upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 10. I have purchased a full retail version of Windows 10. My computer, although old, has been upgraded and has all the correct specs to run the operating system, including a 250gb SSD. My system is 32-bit.

I know I have to do a clean install, and I am following steps to undertake this, one of the first of which is to download the correct version of Media Creation Tool. This is where I'm having problems. I have downloaded and tried to run different versions of the Media Creation tool and keep getting error messages when I try to run Setup.exe. I have tried MediaCreationTool1803 and the Windows 10 ISO (64-bit). Should I be using the 32-bit ISO? I read if I have 4gb RAM I should use 64-bit?

These are the error messages I get from different Setup.exe files:

When downloaded from Microsoft through a Windows 10 computer:

"E:\MediaCreationTool1803.exe is not a valid Win 32 application"

From the purchased Windows 10 Installation Media (32-bit, 64-bit, and main one)

"Windows installation cannot be started from the current operating system. To install Windows, boot from the installation media, or upgrade from a supported operating system and restart the installation"

OR

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

I get a similar message when I use the 64-bit Windows 10 ISO I downloaded.

Will the 32-bit ISO work, or do I need to do something else?
Yes I know this is an old post but just for the record and as a reference what everyone should do is this, determine what are the specs of their computer e.g. cpu, mobo models etc as most older XP and Vista systems are old and are catered for only a 32bit specs and can't run 64bit systems, that is where the problem is or could be? First, open cmd prompt on your Windows machine. and enter the following and tap the "Enter" key. which will tell you if you have a 32bit or a 64bit cpu, if you have a 64bit cpu it can handle a 32bit system also, simple.

This is the cmd:

echo %PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%

Note:
If the Command Prompt returns AMD64, it means your processor’s architecture is 64-bit.

Last edited:

Ask a Question