Mysterious huge directory, C:\4X+jVhn6+X0xHOX4K2

Reaction score
after upgrading from Windows 7 to 10, I noticed a mysterious read-only directory containing 528 GB (567,589,994,496 bytes) in 2,506 Files.
The file names in the directory are also mysterious, e.g., C:\4X+jVhn6+X0xHOX4K2\!!Uv 7pb R+Gm8CrCR.
Disk Cleanup (including System Files) did not remove these files.

What are these files?
What app(s) use these files? (Hopefully, nothing i care about.)
Is it safe to remove these files?
How can I safely remove them to free up space on my laptop?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
No idea.
Assuming you haven't allowed your computer to participate in any of the many distributed computing program projects (like folding) and or you don't normally do a lot of video conversion work, I wouldn't expect the files to be critical. Especially if you have no idea of what they are or where they came from.
Do they have a file extension are you hiding file extensions of known types

HideExtensions.JPG

IF it were me, I would simply copy the directory off to external storage and then delete it from the root of C:\
Reboot the machine and see what happened

Reaction score
No file extension. Not hiding file extensions of known types. Type is "FILE". No create, access, or modified date.
If no one else has any ideas what they are, will copy to 2TB external drive. Then delete from C:\, hold my breath, and reboot.

No idea.
Assuming you haven't allowed your computer to participate in any of the many distributed computing program projects (like folding) and or you don't normally do a lot of video conversion work, I wouldn't expect the files to be critical. Especially if you have no idea of what they are or where they came from.
Do they have a file extension are you hiding file extensions of known types

View attachment 3089

IF it were me, I would simply copy the directory off to external storage and then delete it from the root of C:\
Reboot the machine and see what happened

Reaction score
I don't remember seeing such a file but how long has it been since you upgraded. Windows 10 seems to continue moving files after the original install is finished. I would give it a couple of days but If I was worried I might run some anti-virus.

Does the size of the file relate to anything on your system, such the size of some partition or the amount of data you had on one partition?

Ask a Question