Network adapters disappear after update to build ???86

Reaction score
Hello all,

Today, for the second time, Windows 10 automatically updated to a new build (unfortunately, the only thing I remember is the last two digits as shown in the title).

In both cases, all the adapters magically disappeared and hence no networking of any kind was possible at all.

The first time, I spent a whole day trying to solve it (using a second computer to search the Web) without success, till I rolled back to the previous build.

Today, an update to the same build took place and, again, adapter disappeared.

Few notes:

1) I found some references related to a Cisco VPN client. This was not my case,

2) I found other references with the same problem and no solution provided by Microsoft (at least, I didn't find any),

3) This time I wanted to disable automatic updates. To this end, had to edit "policies"... I think this is too complex for normal users to deal with.

Conclusions:

1) Beware of the build your computer is about to update to. You might end up without network connections at all,

2) I think it is in place for Microsoft to publish a solution to this problem since, obviously, it is caused by the update itself,

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
In both cases, all the adapters magically disappeared and hence no networking of any kind was possible at all.
When you say "disappeared", do you mean that they were gone entirely from Device Manager (not showing as a problem device)
When you "all adapters" how many adapters are involved?
Can you share some info on your computer as to the brand, model name, model number?
Likewise..... the network adapter(s) involved.

Reaction score
"Disappeared" means that when you go to "Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network Connections" you get a blank page.

Still, when looking at "Computer Management -> Device Manager -> Network adapters" you would see some entries (for some reason, one of the VMWare adapters was gone).

Computer: It is an old Dell Latitude 32 bit laptop ("OLD" but still servicing me well!!!).

Ask a Question