SOLVED Old man with camera needs help.

Reaction score
Look! I'm retired,
would like to start taking photos when I'm out and about, them post one or two occasionally in a blog, but I haven't a clue how to do that.
managed tp post a couple and I haven't a clue how I did it.
If you respond to this please understand that really do not have clue how these things worth.
You'll to start right at the beginning I'm going round and round in circles.
Paint.
photos.
pictures.
And it's making my head spin.

Reaction score
What kind of camera? Most are digital and use an SD card up to 2GB or the newer larger-capacity SDHC card. I just remove the card and plug it into the SD card slot on the computer or in a USB card reader, treat it just like the old floppy drives to copy images/files to the computer for use as desired. The storage on the card may differ between cameras, mine have a DCIM folder that holds the files.

Reaction score
Bighorn, thanks for response.
I have a cheap AGFA DC5500.
I load the photos via the usb cable, camera to desktop.
I see the photos displayed on the screen.
Some how I manage to import them and then that's it.
I hit a brick wall.
Would like to resize them to about 8/10 cms square then post the odd one or two onto a blog but I don't know how.

Reaction score
Bighorn, thanks for response.
I have a cheap AGFA DC5500.
I load the photos via the usb cable, camera to desktop.
I see the photos displayed on the screen.
Some how I manage to import them and then that's it.
I hit a brick wall.
Would like to resize them to about 8/10 cms square then post the odd one or two onto a blog but I don't know how.

Reaction score
Where are you Importing them to? I put mine in Pictures but having a subfolder may be a better choice to keep them separate from others. For resizing I use Paint but there's other programs such a GIMP and Irfanview that work. The Snippy tool can also help.

Reaction score
Bighorn,
sorry for being such a pain,
When I import them, I think they go to something titled "photos".
There's something called "pictures", I think some or all of them might be there to.
In one of those, can't remember which one, there's actually an option to edit in "paint" but I fail with that to.
I really don't want to be creating files, that would just another open can of worms.
I've got myself in situations where I had resizing options.
Edited them and then just couldn't save those changes.
Or if/when I thought I'd saved them they came out too big to post them when I tried.
i really don't see me getting this mate, bit of a long-shot.
This will probably be my last attempt.
This stuff is like the sun crossword, you either get it or you don't, and no matter how much I try, I just don't.
And it makes me so angry with myself.

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I shouldn't have come here.
You can't do anything about my total lack of computer knowledge and understanding.
I need to find someone who can set out the whole procedure of loading photos right through to resizing and then posting online on forum and or blog.
Just realized that I have windows "live photo gallery" I've looked and my photos are there but again, I'm baffled by it.
I'm talking absolute basics.
I shall look in for a while.

regards,

struggler1.

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I shouldn't have come here.
You can't do anything about my total lack of computer knowledge and understanding.
I need to find someone who can set out the whole procedure of loading photos right through to resizing and then posting online on forum and or blog.
Just realized that I have windows "live photo gallery" I've looked and my photos are there but again, I'm baffled by it.
I'm talking absolute basics.
I shall look in for a while.

regards,

struggler1.

Reaction score
I can understand the frustration but the basic is that images/files are copied from the source drive to a folder on the destination drive. Most times the destination is C:\Users\USERNAMEHERE\Pictures. Then the files can be opened by double-clicking one, a program will open and that program can be the Windows Picture Viewer or another such as GIMP or Irfanview, there's others. Downside to WPV is it is only a viewer, can't resize except for the onscreen viewing. For resizing there is Paint, downside to resizing is getting too large changes the pixelation, looks fuzzy/out of focus. If I want a larger image I use Ctrl with the + to increase or use Ctrl and the scroll wheel in mouse to do the same then I use the Snippy tool to select what I want then save it with a slightly different name from the original, by at least one character. Posting to a site involves what process that site uses, for forums most allow copying then pasting.

As for your age comment, I'm past 84. I retired 30 years ago come October and started a new 'career' a week later, not having much work lately.

Reaction score
As you look at them off your card from your camera, they should be in folders I presume?...Just right click on that folder and either move or copy to photos or documents. You will be able to view them in any art package you want, or open them with micrsofts photos. Don't worry about asking for any help on here, any of us will help you. When you attach or put your card into the reader, just right click and send to a place of your choice. And you can choose which product to open them permanantly.

Reaction score
As you look at them off your card from your camera, they should be in folders I presume?...Just right click on that folder and either move or copy to photos or documents. You will be able to view them in any art package you want, or open them with micrsofts photos. Don't worry about asking for any help on here, any of us will help you. When you attach or put your card into the reader, just right click and send to a place of your choice. And you can choose which product to open them permanantly. Also notice there's an Ooops happening here that is making people post twice, it needs fixing.

Reaction score
Iceboy,
I'm seem to be able to get them onto the computer, don't what I'm doing but I manage that part.
So, while reading this, I found a picture that I want to resize.
Make smaller, something like 8/10 cms square.

I double click on it.
The screen goes black and another page comes up with my picture on it.

I click on edit.
Now my photo is divided into nines squares, like a grid.
Using the cursor I go at it from all four edges reducing it to the size that I want.

I click on save and it goes back to it's original size.

I don't know how to save it smaller.
So that I might be able to find it and at a later date and post it in a forum.

Bighorn,
I worry about hitting that ctrl button.
Use that and mouse wheel to reduce you say?
Maybe next time.

Right now I need to put this down for a while.

Thanks you guys for your patience.

Reaction score
I use a free product called PhotoFiltre struggler1...I right click and choose to open with this, then when it's loaded, I then press new and open a blank page and choose which size, usually A4 size and when thats done I copy the first picture and paste it to the A4 size and stretch it to what size I want to. Do you have any defualt art software you use?.

Reaction score
Iceboy,
I only have what I've mentioned in the above and I'm terrified of downloading stuff that I don't understand. Not going to happen, I'm sorry.

Reaction score
Eureka!
I think I've cracked it.
Go to gallery,
right click on the photo,
open it to paint,
resize and save.
Then when I double click on it in the gallery,
Just cut and paste to forum and it comes out in the size I changed it to.

I think. :eek:

I've put this here for MY benefit.

Could be a while before I put that to the test.

Once again I thank you for your patience , and who knows, there just might be someone out who is as thick as I am. :rolleyes:

We live and learn eh?

Reaction score
Iceboy, I don't go out with my camera very often and I really don't feel confident with this at the moment but, when the next time I take photos if all is good I shall return and mark this up as solved.

Now I need to find some help with using my newly acquired camera.

Thanks to you all.

struggler1.

Reaction score
would like to start taking photos when I'm out and about, them post one or two occasionally in a blog, but I haven't a clue how to do that.
managed tp post a couple and I haven't a clue how I did it.
If you respond to this please understand that really do not have clue how these things worth.
You'll to start right at the beginning I'm going round and round in circles.
Paint.
photos.
pictures.
And it's making my head spin.
  1. Photography Basics:
    • Start with the camera you have.
    • Learn basic composition techniques.
    • Practice regularly.
  2. Taking Photos:
    • Look for interesting subjects.
    • Take multiple shots from different angles.
  3. Editing:
    • Use editing software to enhance photos.
    • Adjust brightness, contrast, and cropping.
  4. Blogging:
    • Choose a blogging platform.
    • Write a brief introduction and upload photos with descriptions.
    • Publish and share your blog post.
  5. Continuous Learning:
    • Keep practicing and experimenting.
    • Follow other photographers and bloggers for inspiration.
    • Don't hesitate to seek help when needed.

Reaction score
  1. Photography Basics:
    • Start with the camera you have.
    • Learn basic composition techniques.
    • Practice regularly.
  2. Taking Photos:
    • Look for interesting subjects.
    • Take multiple shots from different angles.
  3. Editing:
    • Use editing software to enhance photos.
    • Adjust brightness, contrast, and cropping.
  4. Blogging:
    • Choose a blogging platform.
    • Write a brief introduction and upload photos with descriptions.
    • Publish and share your blog post.
  5. Continuous Learning:
    • Keep practicing and experimenting.
    • Follow other photographers and bloggers for inspiration.
    • Don't hesitate to seek help when needed.
I'm at number 1 on your list.

" Start with the camera that I have." ............. Okay. ........... doing that.

And now I'm staring into the abyss.
What if ' what if ' what if ?

If I mess the settings up they will probably remain .... messed up.
And meddling with them will only make things but worse.

Camera-clubs are out because I'm in a small town and I don't drive.

The REAL problem, as with the computer basics, is me.
The fear of failure.

Software, the very thought, seems too dreadful to contemplate.

Thanks alesoft,

Your post is very much appreciated.

Ask a Question