Unable to start Windows after changing a registry value

Reaction score
Hello,

I had a problem were my disk usage was showing as 100% on task manager and the pc was generally very slow.

A solution online was to fix the StorAHCI.sys driver by editing it's value in regedit from 1 to 0.

After doing this my pc is unable to start, a blue screen has a message and an automatic recovery will attempt and fail. I am then put into repair tool options.

So I cannot do a system restore but I was thinking I could reset the value of STORAHCI.sys by using regedit via command prompt. Problem is the value is located in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\ <AHCI Controller>\<Random Number>\Device Parameters\Interrupt Management\MessageSignaledInterruptProperties

I don't know the values of <AHCI Controller> and <Random Number>.

Is there a way I can get these values or does anyone have another solution?

Reaction score
If you can't get into Safe Mode or run System Restore you may be facing a System Reset or Reinstall. Making changes in the Registry can be 'dangerous'. There is a choice in regedit to first back it up.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Shut down the computer by holding down the power button until everything goes out and quiet.
Start it back up and as soon as you see the spinning dot circle power it down by holding down the power button.
It may work the first time, or it may take a second or eve a third cycle, but sooner or later you'll see "Starting Automatic Repair"
From there use the advance options to get to advanced troubleshooting and from there a system restore should be one of your options available.

Troubleshoot.JPG

AdvancedOptions.JPG

CommandPrompt.JPG

Ask a Question