What a revolting development when upgraded to Windows 10

Reaction score
I accepted MS offer to upgrade to windows 10 that appeared on my screen. All sorts of problems developed. I lost my DVD drive among other things so contacted Microsoft. After many hours was told that my Dell inspiron 537S was not supposed to be upgraded, Dell did not recommend it. WOW! doesn't it look like I would not have been offered the upgrade, or that someone Dell or Microsoft would have slipped a little notice somewhere that I should not have upgraded? Anyhow did a revert to 7 with a disc install and problems continue to mount. Have spent hours and hours on this and still have not gotten all the problems fixed.
Now today, I get a fresh little icon on my screen that says "upgrade to windows 10" What a crock!

Reaction score
After many hours was told that my Dell inspiron 537S was not supposed to be upgraded, Dell did not recommend it.
They told you that just to get off the phone with you. It's common knowledge that these companies will pass the buck, if it gets you off their shoulders.

Reaction score
I have a Dell Inspiron 570 which Dell doesn't recommend 8 much less 10. I knew this before I upgraded. When I bought this system there was free 8 upgrade. It was listed on Microsoft as well as Dell websites. I contacted Microsoft about the offer which they stated it was over and contact Dell which I did. Dell stated the free offer was over as well as it came with Windows 7 and they didn't recommend 8 since it didn't come with it. They even threatened all support if I went to 8 until I got ugly with them then they changed there mind. Just glad I never needed support for PC. I am now running 10 on it now so that was 7-8-8.1-10. You stated you lost DVD please explain. Windows 10 didn't come with a program to run DVD so either you use built in on disc or get a free program from store.

Reaction score
They told you that just to get off the phone with you. It's common knowledge that these companies will pass the buck, if it gets you off their shoulders.

I do not see it as passing the buck. Rather being up front.
The OP's machine is about 6/years old. It is quite easy to go on Dells site and find everything you need to knoew regarding your machine. They will identify it or you can put in a service tag.
On that site, after you have completed the above, the actual wording is:

"Product not tested for Windows 10 upgrade
Dell is not testing or developing Windows 10 drivers for this product. If you choose to upgrade, some features, applications, and connected devices may not work as expected.

and:

The table below lists Dell Inspiron Desktop computers that have been tested for upgrade to Windows 10. If your computer model is not listed, Dell is not testing the device, drivers have not been updated for that model, and Dell does not recommended an upgrade to Windows 10."
The OP's computer is NOT listed.

I and my family use mostly Dells.
I have two which were subjected to the above.. Both run 100% with Windows 10. As warned, there are no Windows 10 specific drivers forthcoming, but, Dell develop very few drivers for their own computers. That would be the responsibility of the hardware manufacturers. Since installing Windows 10, I have had hardware updates, on the mentioned Laptops, including, most important, graphics drivers.
fwiw. I am using one of these laptops at this moment . A Latitude E6510

The Windows 10 upgrade is automatically offered to any user, whose computer can be seen to come within the hardware specs. It does not go deeper into it than that.

Reaction score
Two Dells. Operative word is "sluggish" but working on 7 Pro 8.1 for a short while now Win 10 and dual boot 7 & 10. They work. Can't complain.

Reaction score
The Windows 10 upgrade is automatically offered to any user, whose computer can be seen to come within the hardware specs. It does not go deeper into it than that.
And there lies the problem. MS cannot pass the buck after offering an upgrade on a machine (or at the very least advise of reasons not to upgrade*), they don't intend on fully supporting. But yet here we are because they have. I wouldn't be saying anything if it wasn't for all the nagging to upgrade and then sorry you shouldn't have upgraded. That's Bullshit!

*We all know MS doesn't want to announce potential problems with their OS until after the user finds them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
And there lies the problem. MS cannot pass the buck after offering an upgrade on a machine (or at the very least advise of reasons not to upgrade*), they don't intend on fully supporting. But yet here we are because they have. I wouldn't be saying anything if it wasn't for all the nagging to upgrade and then sorry you shouldn't have upgraded. That's Bullshit!

*We all know MS doesn't want to announce potential problems with their OS until after the user finds them.
This statement has me totally dumbfounded. Microsoft has NEVER spoon fed their OS. It's always been, and always should be, the end users responsibility to make sure their PC meets requirements. It's also the 3rd party vendors responsibility to make sure there are proper drivers. It isn't like they didn't have over 6 months to do that. Microsoft isn't blameless, but your statement in totally off base.

ps. and the nagging was brought on by those who wanted to be notified. People just can't do things for themselves anymore. Laziness.

Reaction score
Clifford, I sort of see your point about MS putting the offer in one's face, but that cannot absolve the OP or any end-user of all culpability.

I liken this to an automaker's fuel recommendations for a particular model of car. Certain models have the ability to process certain grades/types of fuel while others do not. I know as an automobile owner - because I have a responsibility as an owner to read my BMW model's owner manual and/or checking their website - that the manufacturer recommends against using anything but premium high octane gasoline. I know, because of my due diligence, that I can use lower octane fuel, however, the manufacturer cannot guarantee performance or behavior. If I still choose to use a lower grade gasoline, and get undesired results, how do I in good conscience blame BMW or the fuel for this?

Yes, MS does indeed try to entice end-users to upgrade, making it easy to do so if a system check determines, at a high level, that one’s machine may be able to run W10. I certainly agree with you there. However, my local gas station offers three grades of fuel (regular, mid-grade, premium) and makes it extremely easy for me to pick up the nozzle for regular or mid-grade, and even entices me with decent discounts if I use their mid-grade fuel. If I’m sucked in by that incentive or any other incentive at the pump to do something not recommended by BMW, do I have the right to blame the gas station for ignoring my manufacturer’s warning? Or blame BMW?

As I stated earlier, MS does try to entice one to upgrade to W10 by making it easy and giving a decent incentive (a free OS upgrade!). No doubt about it. But if the end-user upgrades and does not first perform due diligence as to what the manufacturer recommends, then, IMO, it is no different than me putting regular gasoline in my BMW and then complaining if I have problems.

Let’s put aside the analogy for a second and talk something closer to home. I have a 5 year old Lenovo laptop. Before I upgraded to W10 I did a lot of research on whether my model was compatible. In fact, on Lenovo’s website, my model does not appear on the list of models they recommend for the W10 OS. After further research and thought, I decided to go forward with the upgrade, even though Lenovo didn’t bless it, because a) I have other laptops that I can use if this one went south, c) others with this model have successfully upgraded and b) I trust my imaging software and took a good, verified image before the upgrade so I could go back to W7 on my own terms and not have to rely on W10 to roll it back. In other words, it was not critical if this particular machine broke. If it was I would have never moved forward with the upgrade.

Now, I am one of the lucky ones where the upgrade appears to have worked 100% and have not yet experienced any problems. However, had something gone wrong and I was having problems, either big or small, I certainly would not be angry at Lenovo or Microsoft. How could I be? Back to the analogy: I chose to put a non-recommended grade of gasoline (W10) into a model of car (laptop) whose manufacturer (Lenovo) recommended against it. Again, I am lucky that the non-recommended OS is working for my model (at this time, anyway), but I am solely responsible if I suddenly start to have issues, no one else.

Thanks for reading.

Seymour

Reaction score
I spent the morning being nice to my desktop & Laptop. Reading this set me off to check if my Acer Laptop was suitable for 10. Turns out, they don't seem to believe that it ever existed. There's a bucketload of acceptable units they've made, so I concluded that maybe they carry different names with different retailers. Giving up there, I went to Asus to check out my DVD RW & they directed me to commercial software (Driver Navigator) to suss out a suitable driver for me. That software did that & more, including upgrading the Intel chipset on my Desktop.

Once I did that, I updated the default programs for the DVD & all is lovely.

Ask a Question