Windows Defender Fall Update New Security Feature Added

Reaction score
Hi all,

per the thread title ("Windows Defender Fall Update New Security Feature Added"), I thought I would make any users of Windows Defender aware that there is a new function which is DISABLED BY DEFAULT!. (In case you don't know or aren't aware of it!). ;)

Open Windows Defender > Virus & threat protection settings > Controlled folder access (switch it on!). Its purpose is to prevent Ransomeware among other duties I would assume. :)

Source:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...ting-your-data-with-controlled-folder-access/ :D

wd new function.JPG

Reaction score
I think that function is only if you wish to protect the "cloud" stuff.

Reaction score
This seems to be its principle function Dave:

"Controlled folder access brings you right back in control of determining what programs can access your data. This feature protects your files from tampering, in real-time, by locking folders so that ransomware and other unauthorized apps can’t access them. It’s like putting your crown jewels in a safe whose key only you hold.". :)

Reaction score
Forgive me if I'm wrong. I was under the impression that it was to protect unwanted Apps from accessing controlled folders. With the feature enabled (Turned ON) it will only allow certified MS Apps to access folders. The Cloud protection is another feature switch. I have my cloud protection "Off" as I don't and will never use Cloud.

Reaction score
You are right Norton, you can add your own exceptions manually if you want to. :) I noticed CCleaner got told off by it so I will need to add Cleaner as an exception to the list of allowed apps. :p

Reaction score
Wolfie Yes! The same happened to me with CCleaner. I had to add it to the exception listing.
The new security features in Defender is what made me uninstall Avira in favor of Defender.

Reaction score
You could be mistaken. It is another of those Strange, convoluted MS paths.

If you click the Virus and threat protection icon, there comes another page with virus and threat protection settings, as mentioned. If you then click again, assuming you still have the original OFF by default, you see only the cloud is off, with a warning. Clicking the original on dispenses with the warning.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
HI Dave,

the cloud protection thingy was there from the start (afaik), what I have found from the thread starter, this is about a newly added function. Cloud protection is an optional function for those that need/want it, as is this option too !. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think I'll have to drop out of this thread -lol. In my posts, I am referring always to your op. The default, "OFF", as I said, only refers to the cloud protection.
fwiw. I have cloud disabled, so do not, in any case, have a use for any such protection.

Reaction score
Go have a beer Dave, I think I will do the same later as I am having trouble with Kodi on my Ubuntu Mate 16.04 install!. :confused:

Reaction score
Greeting Wolfie,
Currently, i am running W10 ver 1709;and i did activate the (Controlled Access Folder) and i am not sure if one of the consequences of doing so it altered my folders so that whenever i scan documents--which i have been a lot lately--prior to turning on the Controlled access folder, my scans went directly to my documents folder. And now that is not occurring, but instead i need to designate and create another folder where my scans default into. I tried to access and allow exceptions but to no avail. I hope this clear as mud.:):)

Reaction score
I don't fully understand what your looking for. Your docs folder would be included in the Defender scan.
I realise this doesn't answer your OP, If I wish to scan a particular folder or document, I just right click on the file/folder and select scan with Malwarebytes.
Defender scans for viruses, Malwarebytes does a more thorough job and scans for viruses, malware, and ransomware...

Reaction score
I don't fully understand what your looking for. Your docs folder would be included in the Defender scan.
I realise this doesn't answer your OP, If I wish to scan a particular folder or document, I just right click on the file/folder and select scan with Malwarebytes.
Defender scans for viruses, Malwarebytes does a more thorough job and scans for viruses, malware, and ransomware...

Good Morning Norton, thank you for your reply. I do not have an issue with Defender scan; my issue is whenever i need to scan to my computer via my all in one printer. My windows defender operates perfectly. However, when i need to scan a document into my folder is when i need to designate a folder other than, the default folder/file that was active prior to activating the Controlled Folder Access. In reality, it is not big a deal for download docs into what is now another default folder and physically moving these scanned documents where they need to be. I think this change occurred when i turned on the Controlled folder Access. thanks &Best regards.

Reaction score
I think that function is only if you wish to protect the "cloud" stuff.
Nope. These are the folders that are protected by default:

2018-03-10_155949.jpg

the "Cloud" feature has nothing to do with your own cloud drive (if you have one). This cloud provides faster access to the protection data that WD needs to work, See also "Smart Screen"..

Reaction score
Try adding the All In One Printer to Defender "Allow an app through controlled folder access, not "Protected Folders"

Reaction score
Adding an all-in-one printer may not work as it is seen as hardware and not software unless it has a specific folder attached to it?. :confused:

Reaction score
Thanks to all who responded to this thread. Wolfie, you are correct my All in One as a hardware device is not recognized a Protected Folder only, as you point out only specific documents. But all is good i don't mind physically moving scanned docs to a file that i created.

But on another note, maybe someone can chime in. This laptop originally came with W7 and i have been able to upgrade without issue to W10 ver 1709(which is the most current w10 version). however, once i downloaded to W10 i have not been able to download the BLUETOOTH driver. the driver is RFComm protocol tdi. I am reluctant to download 3rd party driver ie Driver scape etc. any thoughts. thanks again.

Ask a Question