Windows update wrecking laptop

Reaction score
Since last month,each time I start up my Lenovo 330 laptop it starts loading updates and configuring and never updates and never stops configuing. It's a continuous loop everyday..update and configure and warn me it's not updated. I'm lost for words with these updates.

Reaction score
Have you tried the suggestions on that link? I cannot improve on that!

Reaction score
Davehc, i can download the update, but microsoft stops it from working. I can't do anything with the laptop as it's always trying to update and along with windows defender it saps my memory and cpu. It's like a loop that never ends. I left it on update the other day for 6hrs and at the end it went straight back to updating again.

Reaction score
If it were me, I would “hide” the update, thus rendering it inoperative.

Run this. It was an original MS utility, but for some reason was withdrawn. It hides the update and so it will not trouble you again.
I needed to change the extension, in order to upload it to the forum. The correct extension is diagcab. You will find it needs a couple of reboots before the update does finally vanish.

Attachments

• wushowhide (1).txt
    45.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Reaction score
I take in old computers for salvage of parts I might be able to use and over time acquired 2 Lenovo, a ThinkPad and an IdeaPad. I ended up doing a clean install of Win10 and haven't seen any issue with updates on them, always get the PatchTuesday. The main take-away consists of 3 things, assuring sufficient space on the drive, running Error Checking from Properties, Tools on the right-click of the drive and running SFC /SCANNOW to check for file errors. If the SFC finds errors it can't fix then I run the DISM for further checking.

Reaction score
SFC said no errors, but in the last 24 hours it's given me updates and configured windows 4 times and finally updated. Although now it starts up and I sign in and move to a black screen for ages, then to desktop and wait another 5 minutes for the task bar to fill.

Reaction score
I think it may come to that Davehc, it doesn't feel right. But saying that, it's never felt like a windows 10 laptop. I think Lenovo made it out of an old windows 7 laptop, but didn't put in the memory to match it to windows 10. It can't be upgraded to more memory either and certainly won't take 11. But before microsoft refused the sign in some years ago and I had to download windows 10 again, it was really fast, but with all the updates, it's really dragged.

Ask a Question