AIMP

Reaction score
I found a media player called AIMP (and please don't judge because it's Russian because it was the only one that I was able to figure out how to use ;)) and I was able to put songs/tracks into it that I had converted from WMP WMA lossless music files into MP3 files. However, I had thought that I was putting the songs/tracks in the order that I had wanted them in, but the songs came out in the track order that they were in from the various albums that they were from. For example: all the track number 1's from the albums that I used would be the first tracks on my playlists, and then all the track number 2's would be the second songs on my playlist, and then all the track number 3's would be the third songs on my playlist, etc., etc., and which was not the order that I had wanted my playlist to be in. Therefore, I need help in figuring out how I can get those songs/tracks listed in the order that I want them to be in. So, does anyone have any insight into how to do this with this app?

Reaction score
I've been using this audio player for over a decade since AIMP 2.x and Windows XP. Has most of the features of other audio players with the added bonuses of being portable and the ability to record audio streams.

It has the coolest retro audio skins available for any Windows audio player.

Technics.png

Sharp.png

Reaction score
To answer your question at the bottom of the playlist is an option to choose sorting/grouping order.

Sort.png

A lot depends on how these files were ripped - the track numbers should be part of the filename but not in the name of the track in the metadata (ID3 tags). There's usually a separate field in the metadata for track number.

Reaction score
To answer your question at the bottom of the playlist is an option to choose sorting/grouping order.

Sort.png

A lot depends on how these files were ripped - the track numbers should be part of the filename but not in the name of the track in the metadata (ID3 tags). There's usually a separate field in the metadata for track number.
Okay, Thanks. So, what I'll have to do is first convert my new 4-hour playlist, which is in WMA lossless, into MP3 files and then I think place them into my AIMP app. And then after that, should I change the "Group by" settings in AIMP and then place the MP3 files in the AIMP app? Or should I first transfer the WMA lossless music files into MP3 files, and then come back to this thread and then discuss with you whether or not the track numbers are part of the filename and are not in the name of the track in the metadata (ID3 tags) and then go from there?

Reaction score
AIMP supports WMA files so no conversion required but I'm confused - are you talking about AIMP for Windows or Android? In either case you need a third-party tool such as MP3Tag to check/edit ID3 tag info.

The filename is irrelevant since most media players, including AIMP rely on ID3 tag info. The only time they revert to filename sorting is if your media files have no ID3 info.

Add your media files into MP3Tag and check the fields on the left, specifically the track field I've highlighted on the left.

image.png

Sometimes you have to manually add the info yourself (I can't tell you how many files from the Napster era had no ID3 info) but if you ripped the files yourself with a modern ripper those fields are usually automatically propagated.

Reaction score
AIMP supports WMA files so no conversion required but I'm confused - are you talking about AIMP for Windows or Android? In either case you need a third-party tool such as MP3Tag to check/edit ID3 tag info.

The filename is irrelevant since most media players, including AIMP rely on ID3 tag info. The only time they revert to filename sorting is if your media files have no ID3 info.

Add your media files into MP3Tag and check the fields on the left, specifically the track field I've highlighted on the left.

image.png

Sometimes you have to manually add the info yourself (I can't tell you how many files from the Napster era had no ID3 info) but if you ripped the files yourself with a modern ripper those fields are usually automatically propagated.
I wanted to pop in for a minute since I haven't been by for a few days to say that the converter that I had was only a 21-day free trial converter, therefore, it's no good any longer. Therefore, I wanted to ask you if you knew of a good, free converter, which wasn't too complicated that you could recommend. Also, to answer your question, I wanted to convert some of my WMP files, which are in the WMA lossless format, as are all the music files on my computer so that I can create a playlist that I can play for a get-together that I am planning to have over the summer using some sort of music player that I have yet to buy, which by and large only play recordings in the MP3 format.

Reaction score
Also, I'll probably will also need the mobile AIMP to transfer that playlist to my phone and then play the playlist from my phone via bluetooth to the music player that I purchase. Or I may download the playlist in the MP3 format from my computer to a flash drive/USB drive and plug that into my music player.

Reaction score
If you have AIMP for Windows you already have a free music converter.

image.png

image.png

Converting to MP3 is a good choice because it's a ubiquitous format - it can be played by every device, even my 2003 flip phone. I recommend you set the conversion to 256 kbps CBR which is about as close to lossless as you will get for MP3.

You didn't mention which music player you were planning on getting but it sounds as though you are better off buy a big enough SD card for your phone that will fit the amount of music you want to play and then use your phone paired with a nice pair of bluetooth speakers to play the music. This is what I use when I have cookouts in my backyard with AIMP for Android.

Reaction score

image.png

image.png
Okay, thanks. But first, I'm going to do a little shortcut and ask you how to get to all that because I just opened up my Windows 10 AIMP Player and it just actually started playing some music that I put on it last year (and it might be in MP3 format, and I couldn't get it in the order that I wanted it in), however, I just took a screen shot of it, and I was wondering if you could tell me how I could go from there to what you showed in your screen shot where it said Utilities and Audio Converter.
aimp.image.png

Converting to MP3 is a good choice because it's a ubiquitous format - it can be played by every device, even my 2003 flip phone. I recommend you set the conversion to 256 kbps CBR which is about as close to lossless as you will get for MP3.
Okay, thanks.
You didn't mention which music player you were planning on getting but it sounds as though you are better off buy a big enough SD card for your phone that will fit the amount of music you want to play and then use your phone paired with a nice pair of bluetooth speakers to play the music. This is what I use when I have cookouts in my backyard with AIMP for Android
Well, that's another thing that I have to learn more about: SD cards. However, I was thinking about getting two decent sized bluetooth speakers because I understand that two speakers can connect to each other and play in stereo. Also, I was even thinking about trying the whole PA two-speaker thing. Although I don't know anything about the passive speaker, and I think it's the active speaker? However, I heard that PA speakers sound good.

Reaction score

image.png

image.png

You didn't mention which music player you were planning on getting but it sounds as though you are better off buy a big enough SD card for your phone that will fit the amount of music you want to play and then use your phone paired with a nice pair of bluetooth speakers to play the music. This is what I use when I have cookouts in my backyard with AIMP for Android.
Hey, ClippyBear. My mind has been stretched in various directions lately with a lot of stuff, however, I figured some of this out. Because it's just like any other program or site whether it's Yahoo or Google or either Windows 10 Forum, where you just click on the main logo to take you to the main page/home page, etc. But I'll come back and check with you if I run into any complicated questions if you don't mind.