Alienware MX17 laptop driver updates-how to disable microsoft driver updates

Reaction score
Windows 10 does seem to work fine with my laptop-except one of my concerns I posted in my prior question (solved) has come true-it seems that Microsoft update wishes to automatically update my mouse and keyboard(they may be the latest but are not compatible with a system that integrates multiple software and needs to be compatible to that software which is non Microsoft) and this is affecting everything Alienware such as the command center which failed to open and Alienware FX which works with games and video and which is based in the keyboard. I upon initial installation searched for any update options and could not find any manner of disabling Microsoft from assuming I wanted it to update any drivers, This will also apply to Nvidia drivers. Microsoft Updates for software on a Alienware never worked and I wonder if this is unsolvable since I think there is no option to exclude updates and to use system restore is a time consuming chore that I do not wish to preform a few times a week since it seems if your updates want to do what it wants to do it will. Please advise me of any options or fixes or if I should rollback to windows seven.....I hope I wont have to since I like windows 10 and it works better -when it's working. I also wonder will we be able to order a hard disk of windows 10 in the mail for home computers ? I am most comfortable using that to reboot a system for a clean install if needed or a install that allows you to keep files and third party software intact....Thanks. Wiredwullff ...........O -If I uninstall a update will that prevent it from trying to reinstall the same update?

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Hard Copy answer was perfect-I forgot this page but had seen it. Thanks so much. The other is kinda a solution as when I ran it it did not allow me to block permanently dirver updates or types of updats-it kinda sounded like it would. But I did run it and behold two unwanted drivers were already being set to install-it's always been a problem for My computer but was much easier to just read through the updates and not allow them. At least theres hope I will have to run this constantly I think to avoid system restore. Which in doing so may be problematic. So for now I am not going to mark this solved-even though its a two parter the driver problem is the main problem and question but thanks a lot.

Reaction score
The main question of avoiding software problems by updates is definitely not solved-I ran the Microsoft program which lets you not allow hidden updates but still am having my software for Alienware command center not open (see error code), the error code is a mystery to me what it means exactly. But I have used system restore twice today alone and ran the program to not allow updates....It must be something windows is doing as I have made no changes which could cause this and restore works so it's not a failure of the hardware I think. I wont be able to use windows 10 without this solved unfortunately and cant imagine any other Alienware users with the same problem and no answer will either. I now have to do a third system restore and since restore points cannot be deleted individually This problem is going to create a large restore file that will be difficult to track which is the last good restore off a good restore off a good restore etc....and then have to delete all to create a restore point hoping the current system will work. What's the thinking here? i did a little more looking (see other snips)and found that even after restore to a working state and running the program to deny updates my drivers were indeed changed which will not work-checking a restore point which works against it says no programs or drivers will be affected??? so this clearly is a mess. sadly I don't think I want to spend too much time on this since it does not seem windows 10 was ready to work with Alienware Laptops of my type at least. I will give it some time but doubt this is going to be solved in the near future as it's a Microsoft Win 10 program format problem.

Attachments

• Capture desktop command center error message.PNG
    Capture desktop command center error message.PNG
    183.2 KB · Views: 769
Last edited:
Reaction score
these are new snips for above comment

Attachments

• Capture restore points, drivers say not affected but are different.PNG
    Capture restore points, drivers say not affected but are different.PNG
    57.2 KB · Views: 790
  • Capture key board microsoft drivers.PNG