Clarifacation re W11

Reaction score
Would someone please clarify the W11 nightmare being thrust onto the public in respect of Microsoft cutting off all users of w10 from further use of their services after 2025, thereby leaving no option whatsoever but to spend on a new PC?
Is this legal. Morally, it is surely blackmail. What about the staggering amount of people that can not afford to buy new again?

This is surely not the case? If so it would surely be worth the Public getting together and challenging these reprobates in court.

Reaction score
I will be using Windows 10 past the 2025 cutoff date unless A: Microsoft support my Processor or B: I require a new PC due to the old one failing. I’m certainly not going to purchase on just to be able to use Win 11.
The lack of support for certain processors, requiring TPM & safe boot is supposedly security related nothing more. I’m sure Microsoft could support these if they wished.

There’ll be workarounds posted on the internet I’m sure.

I doubt there’ll be any legal challenges due to cost.

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments. Cost,high no doubt about that,however, the thousands if not millions of the public affected by this stupidity, clubbing together would lower the cost to nominal amount per individual.

Microsoft have to be stopped NOW.

Look back at the pattern of their maneuvering from W97 right through to the present day. Bring a system out,block previous edition, NO where to go. They have us by the short and curlies. let it go on and everyone will from now on will be subjected to this blackmail!

Your choice.

Reaction score
Someone would have to find a lawyer who will fight the case. They may not take a case like that on.

Reaction score
Only depends on the number of people who are interested in doing something. large numbers,(certainly enough will be effected by this Microsoft folly).
Enough and funds too hand, I cannot see any legal practice worth it's salt, turning down money.

Reaction score
Having visited a number of businesses over the last few years and since the EOL of Win7 it was noticed the number that still use Win7 but they all run proprietary software, dentist, doctor, clinics, accountants, veterinaries, etc. Microsoft does support those but it costs them on a continuing basis for that. A large contributing factor to the choice is the proprietary software and them being updated for the newer version of Windows, more cost for the users. Also involved in the choices is whether the programs are available on the Linux or Macintosh platforms. I was in a vet's office last year where they were running Win7 on a Mac Notebook, using an attached X-ray device, similar to those in a dentist's office.

Reaction score
On the other hand, if your computer is 4 years old or newer it probably already supports TPM 2.0, Not many computers 9 or 10 years old are still working with just about any software or security to be on the Internet. Yes, I know some are 10 + years old, and some keep Win XP and Win 7 computers running for different reasons. I think most of these older computers will be replaced by 2025 regardless; 2016 2025 9 years old.

Reaction score
My 10 year old computer was in the insider program in the dev branch before the announcement. An early I7, good old MBR and i don't think the mobo even has a header for TPM. But it is happily running W11.
My daily driver, bought not built is fully compatible, my wife's computer (2015) needed a plug in TPM module which is not available so I just replaced the mobo and cpu.

I think MS are ill advised to force these things but they are giving plenty of warning.

Ask a Question