SOLVED Garbled glitchy graphics appearing

Reaction score
Hi,

This is what it looks like: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IelA6LdtclcsFcpNM4xxrDVZNUS8LOQi/view?usp=sharing

Happened first when playing a game while recording (might have been high CPU load but not sure). But next time after the restart during Windows boot-up. For several seconds I couldn't tell what was on the screen at all. Then randomly (in the video) during low-CPU task.

Is this a sign I should stop using the computer and get it repaired or just try installing some drivers or what would anyone suggest?

Thanks!

Reaction score
It makes a difference in possible solutions when knowing the type of computer, Desktop, Notebook/Laptop, All-in-One or Tablet. If a Desktop a first step I use is to unplug the power cord from the computer and the monitor, wait a minute or so then restore and try again. With a Notebook/Laptop I pull the AC adapter and the battery [on those with an easily removable battery] wait a minute or so then restore again. An All-in-One will have an AC Adapter similar to a Notebook and same thing as a Desktop, pull its AC Adapter. Tablets are harder to deal with in the hardware department.

Reaction score
Doing what you suggested didn't solve the issue with this desktop. I'm now on another computer because it started to get worse even as I was typing a response: garbling followed by black for a few seconds, restored to normal for a while, garbling etc. I don't think the system was stopped because I could continue typing during this and was also able to bring up the CTRL ALT DEL menu. After a while it went all black and restarted itself without my inputs. BIOS was fine so I guess just the GPU is dying. I'm hesitant to start it up again so I guess it's repair shop time, unless there's a specific hardware thing I should check for first?

Reaction score
When things get progressively worse it usually is a hardware issue, I agree about the shop part.

Reaction score
So they ran some test and confirmed that the GPU was failing. I don't know how frequently such issues can actually be fixed. Maybe I didn't need to really take it anywhere.

I could have kind of self-diagnosed it just by disabling or disconnecting the GPU which in my case would have resulted in a default GPU built into the motherboard activating (apparently true with many recent AMD models at least). If everything had looked fine then, I would have known for sure and could have avoided the fees.

Ask a Question