How do I covert .DS2 format to .MP3 format (audio files)?

Reaction score
Hello

How do I convert my .DS2 format audio files into .MP3?

Background:
I am spitting with anger at Olympus. My Olympus DS-5000 Digital Voice Recorder only seems to store its audio files in .DS2 format. However they have stopped supporting their DSS Player Pro software. We can't even download it from their site.

I have found a crappy thing called DSS Player Lite but when you open it you have to do an extra click to get it to play. When you have a huge number of files to dip into that become extremely irritating. So I want to convert them into MP3 format.

I tried Click but it is no longer freeware and is time-bombed.

Any suggestions?

J

Reaction score
Looks like it's a proprietary and patented audio format by Olympus, Philips, etc. which is why the popular free audio converters don't support it.

Here's a link that has a Youtube video guide describing how to use VLC (freeware) to convert DSS audio to MP3. (Supposedly there is a version of the NCH software Switch that is free for personal use that can convert DSS->MP3).

There also some free online audio converters that support DSS->MP3 (haven't tried them myself):

Let us know how you get on, I have no way of testing these since I don't own an Olympus Voice Recorder.

Reaction score
A) Converio is $9.99 per MONTH. I seriously do not want to pay that, just because I own an Olympus voice recorder!

B) "AnyConv.com" says "Unsupported Format" (how ironic!)

C) www.onlineconvert.com/dss-to-mp3-converter - has a maximum file size of just 3MB. My largest .DS2 files are nearly 200MB. :^(

I don't think DS2 is the same thing as DSS format.

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I just used it for a DS2 file and it worked perfectly.
Old post I know but currently have a .DS2 file I want converting to MP3 or ant other format urgently. I can only get the first 29 seconds converted. This is a LARGE file

Reaction score
Thanks. Have tried this but can only get 29 seconds converted, which we have found out is because unless we have the correct software for the DS2 file the file only opens as 29 seconds when it should be over 2 hours long