IOptiplex 9020 MT i7-4790k Upgrade ? !

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was looking at upgrading the i7-4790 CPU in my Optiplex 9020 with the "K" version (i7-4790k) and from what I read it works with my OEM Dell motherboard.

Motherboard
Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model 06X1TJ
Socket- LGA1150
Version A00

Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model Haswell
Chipset Revision 06

Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model Q87
Southbridge Revision C1

BIOS- Dell Inc.
Version A25
Date 5/30/2019

The chip is still available on Amazon:

My PC has been upgraded with an SDD, 32GB of matched ram and is using Win 10 Pro.

I have installed the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) and done as much as possible, though the tuning is limited with this chipset/motherboard/bios combination.

I am not sure if the"K" chip will offer any more tunability using the XTU and maybe the only performance gain would be from it running in Turbo Boost mode all the time.

Comments, suggestion's please !

Last edited:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
There are 2 differences between your cpu and the K version. 1 is the base/boost clock.....your's is 3.6/4.0 the K is 4.0/4.4. Second is the K, the chip is unlocked which allows for over clocking. To over clock it you will need better cpu cooling. Trying to install an aftermarket cpu cooler in a OEM is very difficult.

TBH.....IL would just stick with what you have as the performance gain will be negligible at best in real world settings. I'll doubt if you see 0.4 gain from 3.6 to 4.0 in every day usage.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'll doubt if you see 0.4 gain from 3.6 to 4.0 in every day usage.

As is is configured now, with the on/off Turbo boost and fine tuning whatever settings I can, it runs 3.78-4.05 all day.

If the "K" swap can be done, I was hoping to get to like 4.25-4.5 with full time always on boost.

I though that would be a noticeable improvement.

I am using Core Temp to monitor things, and since I am not gaming per se, I think I should be ok with the installed Dell cooler/heat sink combo, (Its actually pretty big).

Its runs right at 100 F now avg for all cores with the boost running on/off as it sees fit.

When Benchmarking or Stress testing the CPU, it does get up to 120-125 but goes no higher.

I could add a better fan for more case flow too if necessary.

Reaction score
Benchmarks show about 12% improvement with the k sku. If you can get it cheap, it may be worth the upgrade. It will run significantly hotter. That may or may not affect the boost speed. The mid tower should be ok with temps I would think though, since you won't be able to overclock it.

Reaction score
Thank you bassfisher6522 and BigFeet for your input.

If the K chip works, even not overclocked, it should be a good improvment. I would probable not try to overclock it since it has the Turbo Boost, and even though it is an unlocked CPU, I dont know if my BIOS/motherboard would even allow overclocking. I cannot get into the BIOS no matter how I try. It seems that the option to do so is missing.

I would carefully monitor the temps for awhile, and then benchmark it to see were I am at before even attempting to overclock.

The cost for the K on Amazons site is $270.

Any suggestions (or links to other forum pages) on swapping out CPU's ? I have changed drives, memory sticks, PCi cards etc, but never taken out a processor before. I want to make sure I don't damage anything and be able re-install the original CPU if the K fails to work for some reason.

Last edited:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Its runs right at 100 F now avg for all cores with the boost running on/off as it sees fit.

When Benchmarking or Stress testing the CPU, it does get up to 120-125 but goes no higher.
I would look at seeing if you can install an aftermarket cpu cooler. Have a look at this and scroll down to the Tcase info....72C is the maz at the spreader. Your over all 100c at idle is way to high. I'd check to see if you knocked loose your stock cooler.

Reaction score
As is is configured now, with the on/off Turbo boost and fine tuning whatever settings I can, it runs 3.78-4.05 all day.

If the "K" swap can be done, I was hoping to get to like 4.25-4.5 with full time always on boost.

I though that would be a noticeable improvement.

I am using Core Temp to monitor things, and since I am not gaming per se, I think I should be ok with the installed Dell cooler/heat sink combo, (Its actually pretty big).

I could add a better fan for more case flow too if necessary.
for me its running good.

Reaction score
for me its running good.

Thanks diamondbo2005,

I guess for a non-gaming PC it is actually rather fast and I can multi-task with no problems.

Just like when I was drag racing back in the day, I wanna see how fast I can make it , lol

Not sure when/if the CPU upgrade will be done, so should I leave the thread as is or mark solved.

I think the question of IF it can be done has been answered though, so I could mark it as solved.

Any Admin wanna chime in here?