It's so sad.

Reaction score
I started messing around with computers back in 85. I learned my way around software and hardware from reading computer magazines. They eventually started closing the presses, and now the last and best is gone. Maximum PC. I used it to pick out the best parts for building my computers. I went away a while back. So sad! There a couple available online, but it's not the same.

Reaction score
I think the problem is a matter of cost. Where are live, most prices exceed those of other countries, in particular magazines. It has become cheaper, and easier, to follow some online (http://uk.pcmag.com/ for example), or subscribe to forums such as this one.

Reaction score
I started messing around with computers back in 85. I learned my way around software and hardware from reading computer magazines. They eventually started closing the presses, and now the last and best is gone. Maximum PC. I used it to pick out the best parts for building my computers. I went away a while back. So sad! There a couple available online, but it's not the same.
Definitely my favorite. I subscribed for many years. People just don't read magazines anymore though. They couldn't have been making money. It's certainly sad.

Reaction score
I read CPU online. Full of gamer stuff but does review all the latest PC hardware.

Reaction score
Maximum PC is available online with Zinio.
Yeah so is PC Mag, but it's just not the same as taking a mag into the bathroom and reading it there. Don't have a tablet, and don't plan on getting one, so that's out.

Reaction score
I was in on the early heady days of home compution, starting with the Sinclair ZX, Acorn's Atom (1978), the BBC Micro(~1981), the Archimedes (~1988), then my Apple (1996). In those days there were many magazines especially for the home user, and people marvelled at programming to convert decimal numbers into Roman numerals and other exciting tasks. I was recently reading an article on how to make a woodturning jig. The plans dated 2002 were accompanied by a statement that the file is 450 KB in size so it will take several minutes to download! It took me about a second! Assuming 2 minutes, that is a speed rastio of 120/1 = 120. Have home computers speeded up by that factor over the last 14 years? Seems credible.

Acorn (their premises in Cambridge in 1978 were the other side of a pigeon-strewn yard) is now the world's biggest maker of mobile phone chips!

Reaction score
Clipboard01960587356114.jpg

Reaction score
Well I guess its more profitable for them to do electronic. If you look at the computer magazine shelves at Barnes and Noble there are fewer magazines at least from the USA.

Ask a Question