SOLVED Mailer Daemon returned email I did not send

Reaction score
I received a Mailer Daemon return email which I did not send....
Do I need to do anything?
JanBD

Reaction score
I've had that happen and it usually was because someone who had my address in their Contacts got hacked, no way to know who.

Reaction score
Thank you for responding.....So are you saying my email is ok? I was afraid I was hacked.
Do you know how they make the email sound as if it's from me?
Did you have to do anything?

Reaction score
Spoofing an email address is as easy as spoofing a phone number. All the receiving server sees is that it has your email address on it. It does not matter that it came from a different provider. If the recipient does not exist, YOU get the mailer daemon message. Happened to me few years back. Got bombarded with undelivered emails. Thought I got hacked but it wasn't the case, just spoofed. Changed passwords anyway (better safe than sorry)...

Reaction score
Thank you for responding... (I'm 76 and this kind of thing scares me!!) I did get an email from my brother's address about a week ago,
that he did not send. I appreciate your answer. (I noted your "never too old to learn but it is getting harder and harder" note. I agree!
I will change my password.
It sounds as if others with legitimate addresses may be getting emails that appear to be from me. Did you send out an email to everyone saying to disregard anything from me that looks odd?
JanBD

Reaction score
So are you saying my email is ok? I was afraid I was hacked.
Do you know how they make the email sound as if it's from me?
Did you have to do anything?
It probably is okay, after a couple of days I didn't get anything more.

Reaction score
Thank you soooo much! I'll wait a few days and see if there is anymore activity. I appreciate you!
JanBD

Reaction score
It sounds as if others with legitimate addresses may be getting emails that appear to be from me. Did you send out an email to everyone saying to disregard anything from me that looks odd?
JanBD
No, I did not. Since the recipients were unknown to me ,I let it slide and it stopped by itself after a while. It is annoying though

Reaction score
Ok, I'll let it go too. I guess I'll hear from someone if they are contacted. Thank you!!!

Reaction score
THank you for responding....fortunately, this only happened once...I learned there is nothing I can do about it, and
am relieved that my account has not been hacked....