SOLVED Microsoftcooperation

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm new to this forum, but I have had a quick look and nowhere can I see the answer to this question.
I recently bought a new Asus Notebook which had Windows 8.1 and I upgraded to Windows 10.
When I go into C Drive > Users, instead of my computer name (Kaycontinental) it lists my name as Microsoftcooperation.
This is NOT a misprint, I don't mean Microsoft Corporation, but Microsoftcooperation.... I'm not sure whether this is from the original Win 8.1 or whether it is from the Win 10 updgrade, as I did the upgrade soon after buying the laptop.
However, I have Googled this in several different ways but I cannot find an answer. On my old computer my username was always Kaycontinental.

Reaction score
The user name can be changed in Control Panel/User Accounts and will appear along with your picture when you click on the start logo in the upper left corner and on the log in screen but it will not change on the folder in File Explorer.
Does your correct user name appear on start?

Reaction score
The user name can be changed in Control Panel/User Accounts and will appear along with your picture when you click on the start logo in the upper left corner and on the log in screen but it will not change on the folder in File Explorer.
Does your correct user name appear on start?
Hi Dan99. Thanks for your prompt reply.
Yes, my correct name appears on the login screen (not my computer name, but my Microsoft account name).
My computer name shows up from time to time (sorry, I really can't specify when - I think on folder paths), but I just don't understand why it doesn't come up under Users. I am afraid that if I change it, it will be detrimental to some of my folders, which came across to this computer from my old one, which was Win 7.

Reaction score
What does your account name show when you open Settings - Accounts?
What do you mean by your "computer name"?

Reaction score
Hi Davehc.
On my last couple of OS's (Win 7 & Vista) it had me use a 'computer name' for which I used Kaycontinental.
On this one (Win 10) it says that I should logon using my Microsoft account, which is under my real name - Susie Kay. This is the name which comes up at the log in screen - with that, I don't have a problem.

But the name on my C: Drive > Users is now Microsoftcooperation (where it used to be Kaycontinental). I am afraid that if I change this, it will alter some of the file/folder paths (transferred from my old computer), which carry the name Kaycontinental. I wish I had made a note of when that name shows up, but didn't as I was so used to seeing it.
I'm not very techy as you must have deduced, and thanks for trying to help.

Reaction score
Your problem started, I think, during the install.

You would have arrived at this picture:

Untitled1.png

There, you should have selected "next" and left the fields blank. This would have taken you to:

Untitled2.png

Where you should have selected the item at the bottom ""Sign in without...etc.."

That would have, in turn, taken you to a screen where you could put in the correct username as it would appear under users.
There you could have signed in with any name suitable.

Reaction score
Thank you Dave for clearing that up. I suppose I will just have to keep my User name as it is then?
It doesn't really hurt in any way - I was just curious and no-one at Microsoft seem to want to explain it to me.

Reaction score
You could load Windows 10 from scratch changing the name then but that would require a couple of hours to reload and customize everything as well as reload some updates. I have done that so many times it is no problem for me but I would guess you would not wish to.

Reaction score
I would do the same as Dan. Now that windows 10 has been registered with your motherboard, you only need to download a Windows 10 iso and install from there.
If you take that option, make an image of you fresh install, and, subsequently, with your software installed, using a third part program.
It will save you a lot of grief in the event of a future problem.

Reaction score
Thank you Dan and Dave.
I made an iso on a USB stick, in case of future problems because Win 10 seems to be very unstable. For example, every time I get an update, my sound card has to be re-installed. I can't seem to get around that at all, it really is a pain. But I did a complete re-install of Windows 10 the first time around on my old machine, (July 2015) because it wasn't compatible with one of my programmes. It was a disaster, and it took me weeks to get all my stuff back. Luckily I had all my documents backed up on an external HD, but I don't want to go through that again.
Dave, I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'using a third party program' - as I said before, I'm not very techy. Sorry to sound so ignorant, I really do appreciate you both spending the time tio explain this stuff to me.

Reaction score
There are programs on the web, mostly free, which can be scheduled, or manually operated, to make an "image" of exactly what is on your computer, including your docs etc.. about which you are naturally concerned.. This has many advantages over the backup which is built in to Windows. It varies, but can take about 10 to 15 minutes, both to make the image, and to replace it in the event of a foul up.
I use Acronis, which must be paid for, but, this is my favourite free one:

http://www.todo-backup.com/download/

It is very easy to use.
But as you are unacquainted with these programs, advice is that you select an image destination, away from your installed partition.

Reaction score
Hi Dave. Thanks again for all your help. I have had a look at Todo Back-Up and it looks very impressive.
However, at the moment, (and I could be doing this all wrong, lol) I am writing my files directly to the cloud, (using symbolic links to my C: drive) and then syncing them to my D: drive using Free File Sync's Real Time Sync.
My D: drive, I then copy once a week to an external hard drive, so that I always have a back-up away from my P.C.
Would you suggest that I use something like Todo Back-Up instead of doing this, or am I doing it corrrectly?
I currently have a complete copy of everything a) on the cloud, b) on my D: drive, and c) on my external HD.

Reaction score
There is a difference. It is fine, what you are doing with your docs. Many users are a little neurotic about storing their personal info on the web . - that is your choice.
But "ToDo" images the whole of your OS, and takes such a little time - also storing your docs, of course.

Reaction score
Most external hard drives come with software (third party) that are able to do the OS image and the cloud backup and are bootable as well. Even Flash drives (thumb drives) now have that software too.

Reaction score
That's interesting!
Quite a while since my budget allowed the purchase of New hardware. Maybe country specific?

Reaction score
There is a difference. It is fine, what you are doing with your docs. Many users are a little neurotic about storing their personal info on the web . - that is your choice.
But "ToDo" images the whole of your OS, and takes such a little time - also storing your docs, of course.

Thanks again Dave. I will give it a try.

Reaction score
Most external hard drives come with software (third party) that are able to do the OS image and the cloud backup and are bootable as well. Even Flash drives (thumb drives) now have that software too.

Hi Dan. Well I use a Western Digital 500 GB, and it had some kind of software on it when I bought it (5 years ago). As a completely un-techy sort of person I didn't realize what that was and bi-passed it, but I think that it is probably still on there somewhere. I will check it out. Thanks for the tip.