MS, you're not bearing all! Come clean about Program Manager in Win10!

Reaction score
That is the thread - the only one I could find. In fact, the contributions are only from 7 different individuals, one of whom appears to have solved the problem (or it has gone away) Two, I believe, are only referring to a delay in shutting down, and not to the program manager problem.
Not a bad score, in reality, if you consider the number of Windows Oss out there!

No offence or implication is intended here, but, to date, For those using the installations I have installed - a considerable number, have not experienced this . I would also add that, in the majority. they are very happy with Windows 10.
Well, dave, no offense meant here either, but to say that a problem isn't a problem, just because it is not (yet) widespread, does not smack of the kind of concern that is necessary to have the best product or service. Once again, very few consumers, and even business users, report bugs in Web forums. I didn't have this problem either--until it happened! I was very, very happy with the Win10 clean installation. I still like it overall, but I do not like having bugs that are bothersome, and potentially very troublesome, and which the developer/manufacturer ignores and or denies. I know of quite a few Win10 installations that do not have this issue, but I also know of several that have other bugs/glitches/issues. It does no one any good to pretend that something is better than it is, hoping that by so pretending one will cease to notice problems.

Until the progman anomaly appeared, everything worked extremely well (that is, shy of things like the difficulties in keeping a password requirement out of one's hair, and other such mundane, but unnecessary difficulties built into Win10). Why should it all of a sudden stop working well? Such abrupt, obvious--even if many people don't have or see them--problems arising are nothing to brush off or belittle. They smack of underlying, internal coding problems, and should be addressed. That is the purpose of such forums as this.

Reaction score
I am becoming a little weary of a conversation that is only , apparently, going around in circles. I have expressed concern, but cannot avoid the thought that it is unique to something on your computer. When you remark that very few consumers and business users seldom report on bugs, I am immediately sceptical. In my own experience, it is quite the opposite.
Certainly, in this particular instance, 7 complainers only, on the www, is not enough to feel it is a universal problem.
You must , surely, admit yourself that "I know of quite a few Win10 installations that do not have this issue, but I also know of several that have other bugs/glitches/issues", is itself, is a rather diverse way of defending the problem that you have. (program Manager).
However, I cannot suggest anything else, and I feel the thread has gone beyond its time so will be leaving in the hope that someone can step in and help further.

Reaction score
I am becoming a little weary of a conversation that is only , apparently, going around in circles. I have expressed concern, but cannot avoid the thought that it is unique to something on your computer. When you remark that very few consumers and business users seldom report on bugs, I am immediately sceptical. In my own experience, it is quite the opposite.
Certainly, in this particular instance, 7 complainers only, on the www, is not enough to feel it is a universal problem.
You must , surely, admit yourself that "I know of quite a few Win10 installations that do not have this issue, but I also know of several that have other bugs/glitches/issues", is itself, is a rather diverse way of defending the problem that you have. (program Manager).
However, I cannot suggest anything else, and I feel the thread has gone beyond its time so will be leaving in the hope that someone can step in and help further.
I agree wholeheartedly! I too am becoming weary of it. What say you do us both a favour and not reply to this. I began this string/thread to see if anyone had any real, workable solutions, and obviously, so far at least, no one does. If you don't have something substantive to offer, then refrain from offering. This is a real problem, and the fact that some people are unable to comprehend that does not alter the fact.

Despite your last remarks I still thank you for your attempts to help, but if you cannot appreciate the uncommon problem, along with the more widespread, perhaps such issues should be left to others. Your skepticism is at least equaled by mine; not only have I long experience in the ECM (Enterprise Content Management) arena, as a consultant, but my acquaintance includes certified Novel and Microsoft engineers, so I believe that my involvement and learning at least compare to anything you have. Again, do us both a favour, and if you have nothing productive to offer, don't offer anything, especially denigrations of another forum contributor.

Reaction score
Mr. Yantiss as davehc said in earlier post a little interaction may help.
My system spec:
Dell XPS 8700
CPU: IntelCore i7-4790
Operating System: Windows 10 Ver 1511 (Build 10586.122)
Board: Dell 0KWT8 A03
Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 720

Reaction score
Mr. Yantiss as davehc said in earlier post a little interaction may help.
My system spec:
Dell XPS 8700
CPU: IntelCore i7-4790
Operating System: Windows 10 Ver 1511 (Build 10586.122)
Board: Dell 0KWT8 A03
Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 720

Many thanks for the input, Cajunswabbie, and I fully agree. However, it is not helpful for one to suggest that problems someone else is having are unimportant because one isn't also having them, or personally sees them as negligible. In my many years of working with everything from mainframes to laptops, I have found that the world of computing is full of anomalies. The best example of this is, to me, that the same machine, i.e. hardware, becomes an entirely different machine when all software, beginning with the OS, is reinstalled. Computers and the software we install on them are all developed and made by us, faulty human beings, so it shouldn't surprise us when something goes wrong with any specific piece of that whole.

What is way beyond frustrating, and downright wrong, is when problems are ignored or, worse, denied, and bickering about who is "right" or "wrong" does no one any good. I have concluded that the only way to rid my machine of the popping up Program Manager, regardless of where it is located (has to been in Windows, since no one else created such a SW component for Windows), is to do a clean reinstall of Win10. That doesn't mean that it won't rear its ugly head again, because I have no idea what let it out of the cage. As long as it lurks around under the hood, that danger is always present--notwithstanding the naysayers and pooh-poohers who happen not to have encountered the little demon themselves.

Having said all of that, my system specs are:
Lenovo Z51
CPU: Intel Core i7-5500U
Lenovo Board: Z51-70 31900058 WIN
Graphics: Intel HD 5500

Last edited:
Reaction score
That is , possibly, fair comment. (Do you work for Apple - lol)
Perhaps you should consider using an Apple instead of Windows.?
Have a read here:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001238.htm
or google problems with Apple computers. Not a great deal of differences. I cannot comment further on that, as I have nil experience with Apple computers.

But, getting back to your ongoing bug, I would like to invite any members reading this thread, who should, naturally, all be Windows 10 users, to comment if they have experienced this.

P.S
"Did the command line string, and looked in the Startup tab of Task Manager. There was a "Program" there with no "Publisher" given, and I disabled that."
You should have looked in the event viewer, as I posted.
I am having this problem, reinstalled a fresh OS. It went away for a few days and then came back. I have tried all the things in this thread to no avail...

Here is a picture of it I uploaded to Imgur http://imgur.com/a/Z9Hix

Reaction score
I have the same issue after installing KB5000802, never had the issue before that, clean windows install with no third party software/drivers besides nvidia installed.

Reaction score
Please add me to the "list". Brand new Lenovo laptop with NVIDIA card. After a month or so of use and latest Windows updates it started happening at random.

I even went and performed a factory restore and wiped everything completely. I thought things were gone and 36 hours later, it returned.

What I have installed is Office 2019, Foxit Phantom Business PDF, Chrome, Firefox, CCleaner, Klite codecs (Windows Media Player Classic), Revo Uninstaller, and Internet Download Manager (IDM). I don't have these issues on a Windows 7 system.

Let's hope Windows 11 removes Program Manager.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would start by using Autoruns from the sysinternals site to see what is auto-starting since you see this at startup time.
If you need more information you could also use process monitor to check boot boot logging. this would be considerably more detailed information.

Ask a Question