Routine blue screen of death after first boot, then OK.

Reaction score
NO BSOD, but this morning the PC had at least three attempts at booting before succeeding enough that I could post this - the last reboot was triggered by me doing a hot restart when booting had hung at the Windows logo - without a dynamic circle.

Reaction score
That rebooting followed on a deliberate shutdown (throwing the switch) last night when it took inordinately long to shutdown by itself.

Reaction score
How new/old is the hard drive?, have you tried setting BIOS to default settings?. :)

Reaction score
The HDD is an SSD - probably less than 3 years old. No I have not tried setting BIOS to default settings. What would I lose if I did ?

Reaction score
Since I lost the mouse cursor again, I took that opportunity of a reboot, to tamper with the BIOS. I had not set overclocking, and am not aware of any RAM settings. However, I did set it to Optimised Defaults. It would not boot for lack of an operating system; so I reset the boot sequence to HDD rather than floppy. Not only that, but none of the connected HDDs show, which is probably because the SATA ports lost their AHCI settings.

Reaction score
I wrote an untruth - BIOS DOES have Advanced Memory settings - which I've had no reason to alter. Resetting IDE to AHCI caused all my connected HDDs to once again appear. But so far I have had to reset the Master HDD as the boot medium - has NOT get self-chosen.

Reaction score
SSD installed ? It has been connected all along - I do not know about installing an SSD.
What I meant was that if you have an older HDD and did you have a BSOD with that installed?. If you haven't had a BSOD for a while, is your problem solved now?. :)

Reaction score
Time has told - after a relatively long delay, another BSOD this morning. I could, but have not yet, run the system continuously from another SSD.

Reaction score
Try a different drive, that way you can narrow down the problem to the SSD if it is defective?. :)

Reaction score
I do my routine weekly cloning tomorrow, and can then start using an other drive. Or maybe I should wait till I get another BSOD and have the presence of mind to note down the error code to send to you.

Ask a Question