Seamless wi-fi but choppy wired internet access

Reaction score
Hi, I'm not sure this is an issue that Windows 10 can help troubleshoot in my PC. The PC is connected to the internet via an ethernet cable, yet it will sometimes temporarily lose the connection (pages not loading, streaming stopping, pop-ups saying "your computer is not connected to the internet"). Other devices (cell, tablet) using the same internet connection via wi-fi never experience this problem ("never" includes the moments I just described). The issue lasts a minute or two, but it's inexplicable and annoying. I'd feel less frustrated if I knew there's something I can check or fix... I would expect a wired connection to be steady and a wi-fi connection to have hiccups, not the opposite... Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Reaction score
Have you rebooted the router? The simplest way is to just unplug it, wait a minute or so, and then plug it back in again and wait for the reboot to complete.

I've seen many cases where one access type to the router (e.g. wifi) works, but the other (e.g. wired) is flaky due to issues in the router itself. Sometimes it's a sign that the router is starting to go bad.

HTH

Reaction score
See also. :)

Setting > Network & Internet > Troubleshoot.

1594825111124.png

Reaction score
You may have an IP address conflict. (Two devices trying to use the same IP). This can happen if your device, or PC, are using a static IP, but the IP is in the range of available DHCP addresses.

My advice is to never use static IP. If you must have an unchanging IP on your LAN, let the router handle it with a permanent lease. Sometimes called a static lease.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm not sure this is an issue that Windows 10 can help troubleshoot in my PC. The PC is connected to the internet via an ethernet cable, yet it will sometimes temporarily lose the connection (pages not loading, streaming stopping, pop-ups saying "your computer is not connected to the internet"). Other devices (cell, tablet) using the same internet connection via wi-fi never experience this problem ("never" includes the moments I just described). The issue lasts a minute or two, but it's inexplicable and annoying. I'd feel less frustrated if I knew there's something I can check or fix... I would expect a wired connection to be steady and a wi-fi connection to have hiccups, not the opposite... Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Had similar problem and it was finally isolated as a faulty router/modem. Does your router/modem get very warm to the touch? If reboot works for a while and then the problem returns, you probly need new hardware.