SOLVED Shift+Restart

Reaction score
Shift +Restart quit working on my 10 only laptop but is still ok on the dual boot 7 and 10. I found this on the net. How to create an advanced startup options shortcut in windows 10.
Option one: Download advanced startup options shortcut.
Option two: Create advanced startup options shortcut.

Neither of these worked. In both cases they led to a select a device screen with IPV4 or IPV6 either of which would continue the boot sequence to open win 10. The one thing that does work came from this forum.
Enable F8 restart. I did the BCDedit thing to a legacy boot and all the choices are there.

What started this was my obsession with System Image. I am determined to have recent images of both my 10 only and 7&10 laptops. System Image recovery cannot be initiated without advanced start options.

Anybody have any ideas or see anything related to this?

Reaction score
Good news! I'll reply to my own post since it's worth noting for others. I bit the bullet and ran reset this PC thinking that I was going to lose 69 desktop icons most programs and all settings,

What happened was icons and programs were retained, netplwiz still bypassed password and shift+restart now works so i'm back in business for system image. Seems to me I did something very similar to this before and had to replace a whole bunch of stuff.

But this had a happy ending. Good deal.

Some extra thoughts: this took the better part of an hour to do using a thumb drive copy of a Win 10 .iso file.. I tried a Win 10 rescue disk made after completing a system image. Nothing. I have zero faith in disks. Give me USB drives anytime.

Last edited by a moderator: