Sled SSD's

Reaction score
Remember when your dads' family bus sedan was disparagingly referred to as a sled? I think the same about SSD's. What are supposed to be whiz bang solutions for speed are not. I installed them in two laptops and they give new meaning to the word buffering. Whiz bangs? Can't prove it by me.

Reaction score
Is the interface on the laptops SATA 1 ? Which is only half the speed of SSDs
Did you take care to install them so that each partition starts on a correct boundary (I think it is 128Kb but I forget...it has been a long time)

Reaction score
Using a Sandisk 120GB SSD on my old laptop works 4x faster than an older HDD, like Tim said, have you checked the SATA connection to see what type it is?. :)

Reaction score
Remember when your dads' family bus sedan was disparagingly referred to as a sled? I think the same about SSD's. What are supposed to be whiz bang solutions for speed are not. I installed them in two laptops and they give new meaning to the word buffering. Whiz bangs? Can't prove it by me.

How about you post your actual speeds your SSDs, Here is a good description of the differences of SSD and an explanation of the technology.
I'm posting my slowest SSD this is Samsung 1 TB 960 Evo, 2.5 format SATA 3.0. the maximum speed of the SATA Controler is 500 MB/s as you can see this one is using all most all of that.
You should also know that SSD are not all created Equal some off-brand or little know brands can be quite slower than other brand using the latest chip technologies
Samsung 960 SATA SSD.png

This is my fastest Hard drive this is WD Black 1TB split into 2 partitions bot DATA Drives
WD Black 1 TB Spinner.png

Now then later on when I get on one of my Notebooks I will up load The Results of Samsung 1TB 970 Evo M.2 NVME SSD or a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD. you'll see then the full potential of an m.2 NVME SSD somewhere around 3500 MB/s Read and 3000 MB/s Write. So le us see what you are actually getting with yours.

Reaction score
Did you take care to install them so that each partition starts on a correct boundary (I think it is 128Kb but I forget...it has been a long time)
I think (not 100% certain) that most Ssd's unless very originals, have that built in now.
Like yourself, so long ago one forgets, But I seem to remember that one weakness of ssd's was the limits to the used capacity. The figure in those days was not to use more than 75% of the total.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The above is my disk management. Not sure about partition arrangement. I do remember purchasing a SATA to USB cable and running recovery from an external drive to load the SSD in the laptop. SanDiskPlus240GB is the SSD brand.

Reaction score
1st I would suggest that you removed the Driver letter for System Reserved. NOT Needed, and basically your Boot Drive should be C: not D: which is your OS7.
This is my SSD Boot Drive
1583674190890.png

1583674271657.png

Full specs on a data drive. split to two parts.
1583674477469.png

this is part #2 of the SSD 860
1583674632222.png

I can be many issues as to why your SSD Speed is not as fast as you think, Drivers are can be an issue, I obtained better speed when I obtained the Official Samsung Drivers,(some time i have to reinstall due to MS can overwrite them.) WD also has specific Drivers.
Mobo might offer updates, and Bios Settings (updates)

Reaction score
I think (not 100% certain) that most Ssd's unless very originals, have that built in now.
Like yourself, so long ago one forgets, But I seem to remember that one weakness of ssd's was the limits to the used capacity. The figure in those days was not to use more than 75% of the total.

My data partition on my SSD is already 80% full (almost) and still running fine. One is not able to use the full capacity of a SSD anyway as there is a little space reserved to account for faulty cells (about 7% IIRC). Other than that I do not know about any restrictions...

BTW: changing the HDD to a SSD in my decades old laptop got it a boost I never expected. the OS is loading within 35 seconds compared to 3 minutes before with the old HDD and I am using a SATA III on a SATA I port....

Reaction score
My data partition on my SSD is already 80% full (almost) and still running fine. One is not able to use the full capacity of a SSD anyway as there is a little space reserved to account for faulty cells (about 7% IIRC). Other than that I do not know about any restrictions...

BTW: changing the HDD to a SSD in my decades old laptop got it a boost I never expected. the OS is loading within 35 seconds compared to 3 minutes before with the old HDD and I am using a SATA III on a SATA I port....
agreed. Over the past few years I have convinced friends of the speed benefits - no contest

just had a quick google. This is probably what is on my mind, regarding capacity restrictions. Somee of it is a little over my head, but the essence is there!

Last edited:
Reaction score
As an observation, I noticed that C: drive is being used by the system and D: drive is your main desktop, you have a rather odd set-up and it might be the reason things are running slower for you?????.

As you can see from the pic below, I have a system reserved partition and my main drive C: :). My system reserved partition is only 579MB in size whereas yours is several GB's?. :)

1583692624281.png

Reaction score
minii tool 3.png

Here's my latest. I was able to delete C from System Reserve and shrink volume merge D with free space but not change letter.

Reaction score
If I were you, I would do a complete fresh install using the Windows 10 installer partition manager and delete all partitions and click on "New" which will auto allocate the partitions for you!.

You don't need a licence key when doing a fresh install:

1583748779057.png

When you get to the bit about how to install, click on "Custom" and then you can wipe all the partitions!:

1583748844259.png

Don't click on "Upgrade" as you won't get the option to wipe the partitions!.

BACK UP ALL YOUR DATA TO A USB STICK OR OTHER MEDIA BEFORE YOU START AS ONCE YOU START DELETING PARTITIONS; ALL YOUR DATA WILL BE LOST!.

Ask a Question