Virus warning

Reaction score
Since yesterday been getting constant warnings about virus (from basic version of Avast)
Ran scans with Malwarebytes, Spybot, but nothing showed up re this virus. Tried searching on Net but again, nothing. I am baffled. Anyone know about this and how to get rid?
(Screenshot attached)

Attachments

• virus.jpg
    virus.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 193
Reaction score
I once had a thing like this. I fixed it as follows.

enter about:config in a fresh new firefox. no other tabs open.
show all
You then get several pages of stuff one per line

Go down and find that url. I think you will find it 2 or three times. One of them is to make it happen and another occurrence is to put it back if you delete it.

On each one replace it with about:blank

I suggest you don't change any other settings in there.

This fixed a similar thing for me years ago.

IIRC deleting Firefox and reinstalling it did not help although if you can delete all the stuff that it leaves behind maybe.

Reaction score
Mmh tried that ,could not find that item, well there were dozens of things tried search for that problem effort...but nothing came up. Still surprised things like malwarebytes etc dont pick this up...seems to be a nasty little bug

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Try uninstalling FF and reinstalling it....that usually works.

Personally I'd stay away from Avast and just stick with MS AV.

Reaction score
Try uninstalling FF and reinstalling it....that usually works.

Personally I'd stay away from Avast and just stick with MS AV.

Uninstalling and re-installing will not work unless you delete the profiles as well. FF searches for profiles when started for first time after install, then use that profile again. I personally have deleted FF from my PC as it is becoming too slow. I am using Waterfox instead cause it is much slimmer than FF (works especially on older hardware).
regarding the AV: I have to concur. I used Avast in the past but is has grown so much in size that my old hardware does not work well with it anymore. Also the constant annoying popups drove me crazy. I am sticking to Windows Defender without problems so far...

Reaction score
@Grizzly
>Waterfox instead cause it is much slimmer than FF

Interesting, not heard of Waterfox before, might be worth trying.

As for Avast yeah got its problems but on the plus side, it did pick up this virus which all the others did not

Mmh also just noticed Windows Defender has been turned off ... active ones listed are Spybot and Avast.As I did not turn off Defender assume its done automatically when using other anti virus?

Reaction score
@Grizzly
>Waterfox instead cause it is much slimmer than FF

Interesting, not heard of Waterfox before, might be worth trying.

As for Avast yeah got its problems but on the plus side, it did pick up this virus which all the others did not

Mmh also just noticed Windows Defender has been turned off ... active ones listed are Spybot and Avast.As I did not turn off Defender assume its done automatically when using other anti virus?

Waterfox is the slimmer version of firefox but its only available in 64 bit.
Windows defender is automatically turned off when another AV is installed. BTW: it could be a false positive as it complains about the firefox.exe which seemed to be hijacked in your case. it looks the way as if a remote script is executed every time you start firefox.

I found this online:

Reaction score
ahh right...just wondering what would be best, disabling Avast and going back to Defender or stay with Avast?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Uninstalling and re-installing will not work unless you delete the profiles as well.
I know....but wasn't quite sure how to ask/tell about login profiles with out going through the long of it. Personally, I never use the long in profiles for just that reason. Sometimes users just forget about the profile login setting and just keep scratching their heads and banging on the keyboard or punching holes in walls. It's always the obvious that's overlooked.....but hindsight is never foresight.

NOTE: As for browsers go....I've been playing with the new Edge Chromium. Honestly, I quite like it....surprisingly!

Reaction score
ro2124, any chance that virus.jpg on your screen could be a picture in your desktop or other folder?
Once in early WinXP days I got something similar to that (got hacked) and that's what I found in my desktop picture folder.
It happened with a day old fresh install of XP. So I simply formatted & reinstalled XP via a different download.

"I use EDIT because I remembered what I forgot to remember."

Ask a Question