Win 10 C Drive [SSD] Rapidly running out of space

Reaction score
There are many different ways can solve the problem, check out the details here.
Other Possible Solutions for Disk Drive Full Issue

2: Reduce The Size of The WinSxS Folder

How do you reduce that folder please? mine is currently a little over 5GB but I believe that is a pretty normal size.
I am asking just out of curiosity and cause I want to learn more about it...

BTW: my current System partition is only 55GB in size of which I am using only 24GB (with everything I need on it).

Reaction score
You have to run a CMD window, right click and Run as Administrator. When the window opens, type this:

>vssadmin list shadowstorage

It will look like this below:
---------------------------
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.165]
(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>vssadmin list shadowstorage
vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
(C) Copyright 2001-2013 Microsoft Corp.

Shadow Copy Storage association
For volume: (C:)\\?\Volume{c5ff3710-5e76-4b45-9b32-81031b2dc6d7}\
Shadow Copy Storage volume: (C:)\\?\Volume{c5ff3710-5e76-4b45-9b32-81031b2dc6d7}\
Used Shadow Copy Storage space: 2.02 GB (0%)
Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space: 2.37 GB (0%)
Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space: 10.0 GB (1%)

C:\WINDOWS\system32>
----------------------------

If the size of the Shadow Copy Storage Space is too large, you can use this command to limit the size to, say 5 Gb.

>vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=C: /for=C: /maxsize=5GB

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Trident506;

I thought I gave you this, but I can't see it above, so here:

You most likely have shadowstorage turned on. This article:

https://superuser.com/questions/22595/whats-using-up-my-disk-space

will tell you how to shut it off. Doing so will automatically free up that large unknown space.
You did mention about shadow copy. I have not had a chance to do anything yet, as I am on holiday for the next week. I will let you know if it works. HM

Reaction score
I'm back. I was off for most of August.
I have to tell you, I did try every thing suggested by you and a number of others. Not one suggestion was able to free up all the "Unknown space" as found by WinDirStat.
I was using a 240GB SSD. (formatted to 222GB). Directories and files added up tp 69GB, the "unknown" was, and still is 133GB. ( i know, it dosen't add up, but that's the least of my problem)
I tried so many suggestions, Finally, I went out and got a new larger SSD, downloaded and, used partition wizard MINI Free. (https://www.partitionwizard.com/comparison/free-partition-manager.html)
After cloning, partitions needed to be moved and resized. There were many "operations to be completed, and I had my doubts as to whether or not this was going to work.
To my amazement, the system booted.
That 133GB "unknown" is still there, and I really would like to , -at least- find out what it is.
I have other computers but None of my other computers are afflicted with the "Disk Full" Problem.
Thanks to all that tried to help.
Much appreciated

Reaction score
You did mention about shadow copy. I have not had a chance to do anything yet, as I am on holiday for the next week. I will let you know if it works. HM
Well I'm back, Tried what you suggested, but it did not work.
Please see the attached screen-shot. (WinDirStat) As you can see, The large yellow area has no name, (unknown) no attributes, no files, no date. There appears to be nothing in the file, but it takes up 138.8 GB of my drive. What you see is on a drive I cloned. The original drive became full because of this, causing windows-10 pro to give out "drive full" messages.
I cloned to a larger drive believing it would go away, but it did not. It is the same size. (but at least) I don't get drive full messages.
If anyone knows ho to "fix" this, I would very much appreciate the help.
Thanks

Part TWO
I think I have found the problem. In this directory, only accessible after changing permissions, "C:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6\namespace\WD-M5-NAS-1\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups" I have found files that appear to have been copied from my WD-NAS over a very short period of time.
Now, is it safe to delete these Dat.xxxx.dat files? I don't think there is any reason for them to be there.

Attachments

• 2019-11-08.png
    2019-11-08.png
    292.8 KB · Views: 191
  • 2019-11-08 (2).png
    2019-11-08 (2).png
    303.9 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Reaction score
Well I'm back, Tried what you suggested, but it did not work.
Please see the attached screen-shot. (WinDirStat) As you can see, The large yellow area has no name, (unknown) no attributes, no files, no date. There appears to be nothing in the file, but it takes up 138.8 GB of my drive. What you see is on a drive I cloned. The original drive became full because of this, causing windows-10 pro to give out "drive full" messages.
I cloned to a larger drive believing it would go away, but it did not. It is the same size. (but at least) I don't get drive full messages.
If anyone knows ho to "fix" this, I would very much appreciate the help.
Thanks

Part TWO
I think I have found the problem. In this directory, only accessible after changing permissions, "C:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6\namespace\WD-M5-NAS-1\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups" I have found files that appear to have been copied from my WD-NAS over a very short period of time.
Now, is it safe to delete these Dat.xxxx.dat files? I don't think there is any reason for them to be there.

You doing an auto backup to that drive. It should backup to an external drive

Reaction score
You doing an auto backup to that drive. It should backup to an external drive

No It was not an auto backup.
I use a mirrored raid configuration on my NAS, and there seemms to have been some kind of glitch that resulted in the backp being copied back to the source computer.

thanks for the feed back.

Ask a Question