The first major update to Windows 10 is now available for PCs and tablets.

Bif

Reaction score
Well that CVS file is just south of useless as far as info on the update goes..
If they wrote it in Sanskrit it would be easier to understand.

Reaction score
@pjaj:
Try typing "Winver" (without the quotes) in a command prompt - that should give you the version of Windows you have installed. If you are at 1511-10586.14, you probably have the latest and greatest <:rolleyes:> version of Windows.
Looks like the update didn't take place, winver says "Build 10240"
Just wondering if I should try to force the update somehow, or let nature take it's course.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Pjaj, it is time to react, there is a solution to all your complaints. Start a new thread and get it solved. The slow start you mention is definitely not right and I am certain you can fix it. I too hate the junk apps and so on each pc I load Win10 to, the first thing I do is right click each one and select "unpin from start". I have no app tiles on my start.
OK I'll start a new thread now - watch this space.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Today, we reach our next milestone as the first major update to Windows 10 is now available* for PCs and tablets. With this update, there are improvements in all aspects of the platform and experience, including thousands of partners updating their device drivers and applications for great Windows 10 compatibility. Windows 10 also starts rolling out to Xbox One today and select mobile phones soon.

But most importantly, with this free update we have reached the point in the platform’s maturity where we can confidently recommend Windows 10 deployment to whole organizations.

Experience improvements in this update include:

• Performance in everyday tasks, such as boot time now nearly 30% faster than Windows 7 on the same device.
  • With Cortana, you can use your device’s pen** to just scribble a note in the Cortana Notebook and Cortana will recognize the phone number, email address, and even physical address to help you set reminders. Cortana can also now keep track of your event and movie bookings too, sending you helpful reminders to know where to go and get there on time, plus the option to book and track an Uber**. We’re excited to make Cortana available in Japan, Australia, and Canada and India (in English) with features and experiences customized for each market.
  • Microsoft Edge offers improved performance and security, along with tab preview, which allows you to hover over your open tabs and get a preview of what’s on those websites without leaving the page you’re on. Microsoft Edge now syncs your Favorites and Reading list items across devices so you can easily get back to the content you’re interested in most. And, Cortana will now notify you of the best coupons** from your favorite retailers such as Staples, Macys and Best Buy when shopping in Microsoft Edge.
And much more with improvements to Mail, Calendar, Photos, Groove, Xbox, Store, OneNote, Solitaire, and more!

http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...-major-update-for-windows-10-available-today/
Gideon, thank you for this exciting information. I have gone to microsoft.com looking for the update to download. I was unable to find it. Do you know if each windows 10 user will automatically receive an update notice, so then, we can install it?

Reaction score
Gideon, thank you for this exciting information. I have gone to microsoft.com looking for the update to download. I was unable to find it. Do you know if each windows 10 user will automatically receive an update notice, so then, we can install it?

You should have received this update via Windows Update. You can manually try WU to see if it is there.

You may want to try this:

Windows 10 Threshold 2

Last edited:
Reaction score
At about 3:30am this morning 12-18-2015 I noticed I must have a Windows update. Logged in with my pin.
It did not go directly to my desktop, but said "hi a new update bla bla bla" I then said to myself "What is Microsoft going to screw up now"

1, My default .pdf reader, PDF Exchange Viewer is not my default anymore. I had to install Adobe.
2. Chrome is not my default browser. Fixed that
3. The most important to me. Outlook 2007 can't receive emails anymore. Thanks Microsoft.

I use Outlook 2007 ass this is the ONLY version that when I clik on a link in a message it goes to my default browser being Chrome. I think all newer versions will go to EDGE. I hate EDGE or any Microsoft browser.

Is there a fix to make Outlook 2007 work again?

Reaction score
Here is another problem.
I can't pin or unpin an app on the taskbar, When I try to right click I get no choice. Can't close an app, but have click on the "X".

Reaction score
This seems to have nothing about Outlook 2007.
It certainly does not mention outlook 2007, but, I have both Outlook and live. In my case, Outlook collected from my outlook.com account, which was mentioned in the Email warning. It impacted both. It took a while to sort it out. But, as I said, I needed to set up my accounts in Outlook again.

Reaction score
Regarding the ability of pinning/unpinning right click on taskbar...
My wife had this problem last night as I checked her PC. She does not use Outlook for her emails.
Early this morning she got another update that seemed to fix this problem.
She gets her updates a day ahead of me, so maybe I will get one next morning and will fix my issue and just maybe the Outlook 2000 issue as well.

Reaction score
Got my next update this morning. Everything works, even Outlook 2007. Why dosen't Microsoft test these updates before releasing them. I bet they got deluged with phne calls from users of Outlook 2007. Large corporations still use Outlook 2007 in hundreds and even thousands of workstations. It must have ticked off alot of people including myself.

Ask a Question