Email about "Windows Live Mail 2012"

Reaction score
Dear user,

In a few weeks, we will be making some changes to our email services that might impact your @outlook.com, @hotmail, @live, or @msn email account. Those changes will prevent your email from being delivered to the Windows Live Mail 2012 application you use.

In order to continue using Windows Live Mail 2012 to send and receive email for your account, you need to install the latest update published here.

If you use Windows Live Mail 2012 on Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, we recommend that you switch to the built in Mail app in Windows to stay connected and get the latest feature updates on Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10.

Windows Live Essentials 2009 and 2011 are not supported anymore, and you will need to update to Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10 and use the Mail app, or use www.outlook.com. To learn more about the Mail app, please click here.

We also recommend all Windows Live Mail users on Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 to upgrade to Windows 10 and use the built in Mail application to stay connected and get the latest feature updates.

We suggest saving this email so you can refer to it later.

Thanks for your understanding and continued use.

Sincerely,
The Outlook team
MS recommends the built in Mail in Windows 10. That's not a shocker, but I don't like the interface of the application. I prefer Windows Live Mail 2012. At least there is a fix mentioned in the email. This however makes me wonder if "Windows Live Mail 2012" days are numbered.

Maybe I should switch to Mozilla Thunderbird (I've been thinking about doing this anyway), and strike out yet one more MS application that I don't use. Go ahead and switch before I am forced to do so.

Reaction score
I received the same email, but the odd thing is I don't use Windows Live Mail 2012 anymore. When I subscribed to Office 365 I switched to Outlook 2016 as there was information about the imminent discontinuation of Windows Live Mail 2012, so I figured I may as well bite the bullet, now. Like you, I was perfectly happy with Windows Live Mail 2012. I do not like the interface and several other things about this confusing Outlook 2016 which is too much into the users using the online clouds, services, etc. I do not want to use. There is enough your privacy wiped out with the use of Windows 10, without having your information opened up to all the world on the internet for international hackers to worry about, as well! I'm sure all of this is connected with Gates' involvement with the New World Order. Microsoft is setting us all up for government snooping the easy way.

Reaction score
Got it here. My wife is a very slow computer learner, and this is really going to upset her!

I was a heavy Beta tester, all those years ago, for Windows Essentials. Not so many of us working with it. Now ancient history, but it was that which led me to the MVP. After years of using it with satisfaction, they now start to throw spanners into the works. So much for loyal support - It only seems to go in one direction!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have tried the "fix" which is
mail.PNG
in the Email. Hard to believe, but this is what I get:

Reaction score
The "Fix" seems to have worked on a couple of my other computers. I guess mine is a little too customised. I will reinstall it to its initial state and see what happens.

Reaction score
Working. It needed to have all the other features of essentials removed, before it would work.

Reaction score
Dave, when you ran the fix, was you only presented an option to either repair or remove? That seems confusing as the fix is not a repair, it's an update.

Reaction score
No. I just imagined that might be the problem, so I opened "Programs and features" and "change" I was then able to remove all except, of course, the mail
Only my opinion, but this could be a minor problem if, like me, you frequently replace your OS with a stored image. It brings old stuff with it.

Reaction score
What I mean is those are the two options I am getting when I run the fix. So I decided to ask if that was the options you get before continuing with the fix. I don't understand why a fix would be labeled as a repair, but that is what I see.

Edit: I've gone ahead and continued with the repair and received unexpected errors. Trying to remove gives the same result.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello all. Been awhile since I've been here but it looks like the Microsoft engineers are about to fubar Windows Live Mail for us. I have 2 Outlook email accounts and 1 Hotmail account and one of the Outlook accounts just mysteriously disappeared from my WLM. I opened Outlook.com with Firefox and my accounts were there along with email. I was also able to enter one of my local ISP furnished email accounts. Looks like a full fledged mail handler but you have to get there with a web browser as far as I know.

The email recommendation was to start using the Windows 10 mail app but I can't seem to get it to work. Click the set up account button and sign in with my Microsoft account but then nothing else happens. The "Ready To Go" button is grayed out. Tried to enter one of the local ISP email accounts but got an error message that no info could be found for it. Even though the account setup window has a POP option I seem to recall having read that the Win 10 app won't do POP emails. This whole thing is getting really confusing.

I've used WLM since way back when as my email/newsgroup reader program and it has worked quite well so I don't know why Microsoft wants to mess around with it. I looked up the KB article and under system requirements it did not include Windows 10. Only 7, 8 and 8.1. I ran the repair option though and that's when one of my Outlook accounts disappeared. I wonder if WLM will continue to function for non Outlook accounts and as a newsgroup reader.

I also wonder how new email notifications will occur. In WLM Radar O'Reilly from MASH announces the arrival of new emails in both local, GMail and Outlook accounts. Not sure what will happen with Outlook.com being an internet web page.

Got a new Skylake machine assembled and running last week so I'm still dealing with a new computer and Windows 10 install.

As an aside. I used MyWay as a home page but it shut down and I saved the bookmarks I had stored there. One of them was for this forum and today when I clicked on it it took me to a Consumer Affairs.com page. No idea how that got changed.

MFH

Reaction score
Well I have an even stranger problem - I did the update and I have over 30 email accounts for websites and work and they are just fine but the live and hotmail accounts all refuse to put a copy of the mail in the sent folder in 2012 they do show up in the online account login. Any ideas on what the heck is happening?

Reaction score
What I mean is those are the two options I am getting when I run the fix. So I decided to ask if that was the options you get before continuing with the fix. I don't understand why a fix would be labeled as a repair, but that is what I see.

Edit: I've gone ahead and continued with the repair and received unexpected errors. Trying to remove gives the same result.
Sorry Cliff, I gave you some bad info there. Rather late and written in haste. I have the "essentials" exe resident on my spare hd. What I did was, as said, but I uninstalled and reinstalled. Today, looking at my previous (Acronis) image, I see that I had 2011 essentials installed from that. My reinstall yesterday, brought it up to 2012. Only mail, without the other bits, which it seems may have problems in the near future. That is the definitive answer - the "fix" only works with 2012

Reaction score
You are not alone, Dipsy. I have tried every conceivable way to incorporate my ISP pop email into the Mail program, and failed. Naturally, it accepts the live outlook accounts without problems.

Well. I had another go at the Mail App, with a fresh mind, today. I have successfully setup a third( POP) account, together with two Outlook accounts (automatic). All tested and working. I'll give it a try and see if I can get to like it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry Cliff, I gave you some bad info there.
No worries.

Since the fix didn't want to work for me, I'll likely look for another email application. I don't want to migrate to anything else that MS has. If I did I would only find myself back in this boat before long.

Reaction score
You are not alone, Dipsy. I have tried every conceivable way to incorporate my ISP pop email into the Mail program, and failed. Naturally, it accepts the live outlook accounts without problems.

Well. I had another go at the Mail App, with a fresh mind, today. I have successfully setup a third( POP) account, together with two Outlook accounts (automatic). All tested and working. I'll give it a try and see if I can get to like it.

Good morning Dave. Don't know what is going on now but when I open Outlook.com it has changed from the initial email program I saw to a preview version and none of my email accounts are showing. There is also an indicator that POP mail is disabled. Microsoft seems intent on messing with this old man's mind.

Reaction score
Sorry Dipsy. Looks like MS have crashed in without warning. The same happened to me. I had to set up my accounts again.
Should we migrate to MSOutlook? They may snatch that too.

Reaction score
Reopening this old thread.
I have had doubts about this information, since I first received it.
Although it seems to be addressed from an authentic source, its actual reliability seems to be in some doubt.
My own findings:
Chatting with my local rep, there seems to be little knowledge of this correspondence in the Microsoft circles ??
The original Email dos not seem to exist any longer in my on line live outlook archives ??
WLM is a standalone, freeware program. Unless MS tamper with it, there is no reason to expect it to stop working.
imho, assuming its authenticity, MS have blundered with the specific contents. The hotfix which the mail links to, is only intended for 32 bit installations. It is also only meant to be applied to users running Windows 7 through 8. Applying it to Windows 10, as I did in haste, can result in irreversible problems with the WLM on your desktops, which probably will then require a reinstall.

Interesting and informative reading:

http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/25...ail-2012-patch-kb-3093594-it-freezes-windows/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3093594

In the second link, have a quick look at the link to the knowledge base.

In a nutshell. Forget it.

Reaction score
I've received another Email today on this topic. As soon as WLM no longer functions, I'll be switching software alright. I'll be switching away from MS so that maybe, I won't have to switch again in the future.

Action required for users of Windows Live Mail 2012. Dear User, Earlier this year we announced updates to Outlook.com that will help you collaborate with others, focus on what matters, and get more done.

Action required for users of Windows Live Mail 2012
Dear User,

Earlier this year we introduced a new Outl‍ook‍.‍com that will help you collaborate with others, focus on what matters, and get more done. The new Outlo‍ok‍.‍com delivers an exciting set of new experiences across web, phone, and desktop, and we’re eager for you to start using it.
It appears that you are currently using Windows Live Mail 2012 to connect to your Out‍look‍.‍com account. Windows Live Mail 2012 does not support the synchronization technologies used by the new Outl‍ook‍.‍com. When account upgrades begin at the end of June, you will no longer be able to receive email sent to your Out‍look‍.‍com account in Windows Live Mail 2012. Rest assured, you can always access your email by logging into Out‍look‍.‍com from any web browser, and you will continue to have access to all your data that is currently in Windows Live Mail 2012.
If you currently use Windows Live Mail 2012, we recommend that you switch to the Mail app in Windows to‍day. The Mail app is built in to Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10, and has a more modern design. To begin using it, simply launch the app and add your Out‍look‍.‍com account.
If you are using Windows 7, you can upgrade to a newer version of Windows to enjoy the Mail app and the other benefits. If you do not wish to upgrade, you can access your account via a web browser, or, you can take advantage of a free one-year subscription of Office 365 Personal, and use Outl‍ook 2016 to connect to your account.* This Off‍ice 365 subscription also includes other productivity applications such as Word, PowerPoint and Excel. It works on Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, and Windows 10.
Please take action before Ju‍ne 30th, 2016, which is when we’ll begin upgrading accounts that currently use Windows Live Mail 2012. If you have more questions, please find answers to common FAQs in this help article, or you can contact Microsoft support.
We recognize that changes like this can be difficult, and apologize for any inconvenience this causes you. We hope that you’ll enjoy the benefits of moving to the new Outl‍ook‍.‍com.
Sincerely,
Outl‍ook‍.‍com team

*Must redeem by October 15, 2016. Valid for first time Office 365 subscriber. Credit card required; cancel anytime at www.office.com/myaccount. See full terms here.
Microsoft respects your privacy. To learn more, please read our Privacy Statement.
Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
Action required for users of Windows Live Mail 2012. Dear User, Earlier this year we announced updates to Outlook.com that will help you collaborate with others, focus on what matters, and get more done.
open.aspx
div.preheader { display: none !important; }

Reaction score
Looks like WLM will continue to work for everything but Outlook.com mail accounts. I can understand Microsoft updating and modernizing Outlook but I don't know why they couldn't have updated WLM to work with the new protocol. WLM has worked just fine for me for a number of years now fetching and sending emails and accessing newsgroups. Now I'll need two programs just to accommodate Outlook. I noticed another sneaky from Microsoft in the email. If you want the "free" trial of Office for a year you have to provide a credit card and at the end of the trial period MS will automatically bill the credit card unless you remember to cancel out. I really dislike this type of setup where you get automatically billed instead of receiving a notice that you need to purchase the program.

Reaction score
Looks like WLM will continue to work for everything but Outlook.com mail accounts.
That may be the case but I am using WLM for my outlook account and can not seem to get it configured for my google account. I think I'll be switching to Mozilla Thunderbird shortly. I've never used their email application, so I don't know if I will like them or not. At this point if they at least work, I don't see where I have room to complain.

Ask a Question