SOLVED Alienware M18xr2 cannot update past 1809

Reaction score
System Dell-Alienware M18xr2 (built 2012) original OS Win 7 Pro. Upgraded to Win 10 Pro. Current build 1809.

CPU Intel i7-3820QM
GPU Dual nvidia GTX675M
RAM 32GB PC1600 DDR3 (4x8GB)
Storage 256GB SSD and 1TB 7200rpm HDD.

During installation, Windows Out Of Box Experience was used to place Documents on D: Drive to keep C: drive free for system and programs.

Bios and all drivers are up to date, and update trouble shooter has been run.

Onto the problem

Windows update tells me that my version (1809) is nearing end of service, but does not provide later versions as available when I check for updates.

Have downloaded Windows Update Assistant which finds the latest build (now 2009) but I have had this problem trying to get builds 1903,1909 and 2004 also.

Each time, the update downloads and seems to go OK. When no more can be done from withing Windows, I am prompted to restart.

Windows update continues upon restart reaching 30%, restarting then getting to 60%. I have noticed a couple of times after the jump to 60% it sits there for a while before dropping to 58% and then incrementing back up to 71%.

After 71% it restarts again and this is where it fails.
Instead of continuing with the update, I get a blue screen error SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED. And says it is gathering data. Once the data gathering reaches 100%, the machine hangs and does not reboot as the message indicates it should. I have to hold down the power button to force it off.

After 3 attempts Windows Update reverts to build 1809.

Update history shows error code 0xc1900101 multiple times and 0x8024000b once.

Reaction score
How much free drive space do you have on the C drive? You'll probably need like 30 gb free. If all else fails, you may need to download the iso, burn it to a flash drive or dvd, and do a clean install. End of service for 1809 is Nov. 10.

Reaction score
You can also try clicking on "Update now" and use the upgrade assistant but it is slow!. :eek:

UK English!, scroll down to the bottom left of the page to change the language! . :)

Reaction score
How much free drive space do you have on the C drive? You'll probably need like 30 gb free. If all else fails, you may need to download the iso, burn it to a flash drive or dvd, and do a clean install. End of service for 1809 is Nov. 10.

Drive C: (256GB SSD) 152GB used 85GB available

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Just to be clear....you are talking about upgrading and not a clean install....correct. You may need to do a clean install....if I remember correctly, that's what some users were forced to do. I think it had to do with hardware.

Any way....I would backup all data you want to keep and then try a clean install.

Reaction score
I Upgraded a client's Dell Precision desktop a few days ago from Version 1803 to Version 1909 then was offered 2004 so did that, worked good. Also updated another client's HP from 1903.

Both computers and some of mine are flashing a warning from Facebook about no longer supporting Internet Explorer 11 so imported their Favorites to Edge. I presume more and more sites will be doing the same in coming days/weeks/months, may see it sooner with financial services. Biggest issue to my mind is proprietary software [like for medical use], expensive for companies to keep updated.

Forgot this image, it's actual coming from Microsoft when I just now tried Facebook again.
1603659375991.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Another thing to be mindful of, is sometimes there's an issue upgrading if you use 3rd party anti virus.

Reaction score
Also try clearing some space on the drive!. :)

Reaction score
Just to be clear....you are talking about upgrading and not a clean install....correct. You may need to do a clean install....if I remember correctly, that's what some users were forced to do. I think it had to do with hardware.

Any way....I would backup all data you want to keep and then try a clean install.

Actually I am talking about UPDATING using Windows Update.

I have just followed the instructions on https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ery-time/1bc1f5f8-5001-4ebd-81c6-f53ab8ae1e48
_Gary
Replied on December 17, 2019
Hi,

My name is Gary an independent advisor and I would be happy to help you out with your concern,

Open cmd by searching "cmd" on the start menu, make sure to run it as administrator
Execute this command on the command prompt

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Run these commands on the command prompt to restart windows update services

net stop bits
net stop cryptsvc
net stop wuauserv
net stop msiserver
Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
net start bits
net start cryptsvc
net start wuauserv
net start msiserver

After successfully executing the commands, I would suggest performing a clean boot to disable third party background services that may be interrupting with the windows update services

1. Go to start menu/search msconfig
2. On the system configuration window go to the services tab
3. Tick on hide all microsoft service so that this won't be affected
4. Choose to disable all services
5. Next, go to the startup tab and on the window choose to open task manager
6. Choose to disable each applications from starting up when computer is booting up
7. Close task manager and hit apply then ok
8. A prompt to restart the computer will show up, choose to restart

This should restart the computer with minimal third party services starting up right after windows boots up. Once the system boots up. After this, try to update again.

In the event that it still fails, I would suggest performing an in-place upgrade, this process overrides the system files which would fix corruptions or damages within the system files/packages while updating the system to the latest version of windows 10.

To perform an in-place upgrade,

1. Open this link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...
2. Select Download tool, and select Run. You need to be an administrator to run this tool.
3. On the License terms page, if you accept the license terms, select Accept.
4. On the What do you want to do? page, select Upgrade this PC now, and then select Next.
5. After downloading and installing, the tool will walk you through how to set up Windows 10 on your PC.
6. When Windows 10 is ready to install, you'll have an option to keep your personal files and apps, keep personal files, or to keep nothing during the upgrade
7. The process would take a while and may consist of multiple reboots. Make sure that there won't be interruption within the process to make sure that everything would sort everything out

after clean booting, I ran windows update again and it has found Feature update 1909. Will see if this works.

My next step will be an In-Place upgrade if Windows Update continues to fail.

Hopefully I do not need to resort to a fresh install.

Reaction score
Also try clearing some space on the drive!. :)

I would have thought 85GB of free space should be enough

Reaction score
Another thing to be mindful of, is sometimes there's an issue upgrading if you use 3rd party anti virus.
I use BitDefender but I also have it installed on 2 other machines that have no issues updating.
I Upgraded a client's Dell Precision desktop a few days ago from Version 1803 to Version 1909 then was offered 2004 so did that, worked good. Also updated another client's HP from 1903.

Both computers and some of mine are flashing a warning from Facebook about no longer supporting Internet Explorer 11 so imported their Favorites to Edge. I presume more and more sites will be doing the same in coming days/weeks/months, may see it sooner with financial services. Biggest issue to my mind is proprietary software [like for medical use], expensive for companies to keep updated.

Forgot this image, it's actual coming from Microsoft when I just now tried Facebook again.
View attachment 12617
Yes I've seen that a few times, but I already have Edge with 1809 not that I use it (I prefer Chrome)

Reaction score
I use BitDefender but I also have it installed on 2 other machines that have no issues updating.

It can affect one and not another. It's a well know reason for not being able to complete an update. It doesn't hurt disabling it and giving it a try. Honestly, I would just do a clean install of windows.

Reaction score
It can affect one and not another. It's a well know reason for not being able to complete an update. It doesn't hurt disabling it and giving it a try. Honestly, I would just do a clean install of windows.
yeah, might have to but hate having to reinstall all my software :(

Reaction score
so I tried in place upgrade and still failed. got more information on the error though...

Got this message...
installation failed in the second_boot phase with an error during boot operation

I checked the error logs in C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Rollback\setuperr.log
Code:
2020-10-26 19:40:13, Error                 SP     Failed to merge telemetry file: . hr = 0X80070057
2020-10-26 19:40:13, Error                        Failed to delete tracing files: E:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\WinRETel.etl.001: Win32Exception: \\?\E:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\WinRETel.etl.001: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. [0x00000020] void __cdecl UnBCL::File::DeleteInternal(const class UnBCL::String *)[gle=0x00000020]
2020-10-26 19:44:25, Error      [0x064183] IBSLIB OSRollbackService::CCheckpoint::MoveOrCopyDirectory: ObliterateOrMoveDirectoryTree(E:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther) failed.[gle=0x00000005]
2020-10-26 19:45:31, Error                 SP     Failed to merge telemetry file: E:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\RbTel.etl. hr = 0X80070057
2020-10-26 19:45:31, Error                 SP     Failed to merge telemetry file: E:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\WinRETel.etl.001. hr = 0X80070057

Reaction score
Did you try using the upgrade assistant as well?. :)
Yes I did... been through tons of options...
RAM tested - ok.
CPU tested- ok.
SSD tested - ok.
HDD tested - ok.
All drivers up to date - check
BIOS up to date - check
Antivirus disabled - check
Clean Boot OS - check

Run upgrade installation from USB - check....

Result....

Error 0xC1900101 – 0x40017 installation failed in the second_boot phase with an error during boot operation

Solution found on the Internet...finally...

Ran upgrade install from USB - check
This time choose to keep files but lose apps and settings - check...

Result Windows 10 build 20h2

Now to spend rest of the week reinstalling software

Reaction score
Glad you were able to finally get it upgraded. I know it's a pain in the backside to reinstall all your software. I have a ton too and it took the better part of a week to get everything installed.
If you could mark this thread solved, that would be helpful for the next person who may have the same issue.

Reaction score
Could you please mark the thread as solved if everything is okay so it helps others. :)

Ask a Question