Basics of 21H1 Install

Reaction score
I am being told by MS Chat that doing an 21H1 update will rid my machine of a major nuisance disease (2-screen mode always wakes up with blank screens and tedious workarounds).

Before I take that leap can you folks keep this simple and tell me:

1) Is the update simple/easy for a non-IT person?
2) Is there much risk of losing functionality of scanners, printers, etc due to new driver needs?
3) Is it likely or unlikely that a whole new list of troubles will be barfed out by doing this update?
4) Once you downloaded and saved the 21H1 stuff on a USB drive describe what troubles you had installing it if any.
5) Do you recommend this update overall and why?
6) The tool download mentions a License is required. How does that happen? Are they going to charge me $ for the update ? (I currently run a 2004xxxx version which came preinstalled in a new HP PC in Jan 2020.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Some positive answers will be forthcoming, but, first, I am not clear on
"(I currently run a 2004xxxx version which came preinstalled in a new HP PC in Jan 2020."

Which OS are you currently running? ( 10: 8: or?)

In anticipation, you probably have a reasonably up to date OS, and it is most likely an OEM (manufacturers installation). It will therefore be registered and no further payment should be needed for an update.

Reaction score
Some positive answers will be forthcoming, but, first, I am not clear on
"(I currently run a 2004xxxx version which came preinstalled in a new HP PC in Jan 2020."

Which OS are you currently running? ( 10: 8: or?)

In anticipation, you probably have a reasonably up to date OS, and it is most likely an OEM (manufacturers installation). It will therefore be registered and no further payment should be needed for an update.
Win 10 version 2004 (OS build 19041.1165) which camwe pre-installed on my HP PC. If it has been updated I am unaware of it. I hope you are right about the $ not costing me but to be honest I'd pay just to get stable and past the obnoxious problem. I'm just skitish of going into 21H1 which may cause more problems for me than it fixes (I fear.)

Reaction score
it is most likely the "Home" Edition as it is an OEM.
You build is almost up to date, I am currently on 19043.1200.
1. The update will come, if not already waiting, through the settings - updates. You sit back and let it do its thing. (For me, anyway!)
2. It happens on rare occasions, but you normally lose nothing.
3. I have never had any problems. I read on forums of such, but this is probably caused by users altering essentials in the registry, or similar, or, in rare cases, finding incompatible hardware. The opportunity exists to "roll back), should this happen.
4. Covered by #1
5. I would recommend any updates, but, in this particular case, it should come automatically and the choice is not yours.
6. Your motherboard has been registered as a user, with a registration identification, for Windows 10. The Update will recognise this and apply it. There will be absolutely no cost to you.

I speak from my own experiences. I have rarely had a problem updating, and the one or two times it has happened, was, for obscure reasons, often my fault and easily rectified.

Reaction score
Thanks Dave. The Chat guy warned me it would take over an hour, not seeming to be a simple update. It did take around half an hour just to down load the USB stored material to be used during the actual update. The Tool info related to the download shows this 21H1 replacing a whole long list of various versions of Win 10 which surprised me.

The 21H1 was just released in May and there has been a Beta update out on it mid July too.

Reaction score
Update: Since last post, I found out the problem has morphed into "won't awaken disease" instead of two screen disease. I could swear 6 months ago it only happened with dual monitors "extended." I unplugged on entirely and it atill has the disease !! Having swallowed that bitter pill, I did what I considered a risky move by downloading and installing a whole new release of Win 10 which th Chat guy insisted would fix the problem.

I downloaded 21H1 (which took most of an hour), installed it (which took several hours, went out and mowed the lawn, ran a couple of errands) and when the dust settled the new version of Win 10 works just fine in that all the fears about drivers and printers and scanners, and older Office might not load, etc. -- were all unfounded. Works just fine all the way around. BUT NO CHANGE AT ALL IN THE ORIGINAL PROBLEM< !!!!!! The Chat guy from MS was dead wrong. 21H1 does NOT fix the problem at all. First time I restarted the PC it came right back up with the left screen black and the right one greyishblue -- Exact SAME PROBLEM FOR MANY MONTHS NOW. Only now I've whizzed away more than an entire workday doing what MS told me would fix the problem and I'm right back where I started many months ago.

Of course I'm headed back to Win 10 Support to try to get back in via Chat and start over with them ... but wht a heck of a demoralizing mess.

Reaction score
Update: fresh Chat with MS support -- they NOW say my BIOS is not compatible with the newer Op Sys and updates -- somewhat ironic since they are the ones that caused me to install 21H1 and updates !!! MS then said the BIOS is not theirs so go to HP. I did, updated the BIOS to the latest/greatest. NO CHANGE SAME BLASTED PROBLEM.

Reaction score
Sorry. There the story ends, I'm afraid. Many in the same darned position.. The requirements you can read in several posts on this site, or here:

and, in your case, certain basic items accessed through the Bios. The TPM is most likely the one hindering you. If you computer is of a certain age, there is no way you can update the bios to improve the TPM.
There are, allegedly, ways you can hack and install Windows 11, but I will have to leave that to you to google a little.

Reaction score
Thanks Dave. HP shows the BIOS I installed as the very latest/current one. Also this machine was bought in Jan 2020 & surely not yet an "old" machine. It is really baffling. I'll study the hardware requirements in the link you sent.

I will add one thing: I really rue the day I bought a new PC running Win 10 just to get around bothersome things under Win 8 !!! My wife 10 ft away over here is still running Win 7 with absolutely no problems. I installed her system probably 6 or 8 years ago.

Reaction score
:rolleyes:;) Thanks Dave. HP shows the BIOS I installed as the very latest/current one. Also this machine was bought in Jan 2020 & surely not yet an "old" machine. It is really baffling. I'll study the hardware requirements in the link you sent.

I will add one thing: I really rue the day I bought a new PC running Win 10 just to get around bothersome things under Win 8 !!! My wife 10 ft away over here is still running Win 7 with absolutely no problems. I installed her system probably 6 or 8 years ago.

Reaction score
Update flash!

MS have announced that you will be able to install Windows 11 on an older computer - not more than four years old - but it must be done manually, and will not come as an update.
I still disagree with how MS are dictating to us how to use our security settings, but this one makes a little sense. Do it at your own risk!

Ask a Question