MYOB business basics 2004 - Can't load disk to Windows 10

Reaction score
Hi, I know this is an old program, have tried to change compatability to install this under windows 10 as it still has information we need to access for our business, but we are not going to continue using this program and change to one in the cloud(so we don't have this problem again!!). How can I access the information without upgrading the software? Or is this not possible?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Cassarn,

As you have unsuccessfully tried to use Compatibility Mode for your MYOB Business Basics 2004, then the only other means I can think of that would allow you to run this Software and thus allow you to access your Business information, would be to install a Virtual Box onto Windows 10, then using legal disks you could install anything from Windows 3.1 through to Windows 8.1, and then from this Virtual Box run your MYOB application.

A popular one that seems to work well in the Windows 10 environment is Oracle's VirtualBox.

You can download an installer for that here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Note:
  • x86 Download is for a Windows 10 OS running a 32-bit architecture
  • amd64 Download is for Windows 10 OS running a 64-bit architecture
  • If you are unsure what architecture you are running you can confirm this by:
    • Clicking Start | selecting Settings | clicking System | in left pane clicking About
    • There you will see an entry: System Type: next to this whether its 32-bit or 64-bit

I did a general check online regarding MYOB Business Basics 2004 and it seems this was designed to run with Windows XP (SP3), so that would be the one to install with your Virtual Box.

Other than that I can only suggest checking out MYOB's Community Forum to see whether there is any advice given there, or to post a thread there or contact them, for assistance. Their forum is here: http://community.myob.com/

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Regedit, thanks for the advice, I take it "legal disks" means the purchased disks for MYOB?
and when you say I could install anything with the virtual box from 3.1 to 8.1 do you mean any program that has worked on any of these windows versions?

Regedit32

Reaction score
I take it "legal disks" means the purchased disks for MYOB?
and when you say I could install anything with the virtual box from 3.1 to 8.1 do you mean any program that has worked on any of these windows versions?

Hi Cassarn,

By legal disks I was referring to disks for installing Windows 3.1, Windows NT, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98se, Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows XP, etcetera all the way up to Windows 8.1

You'll need legal disks given you would still need to register the installation.

From what I could tell your particular version of MYOB was coded to work with Windows XP (Service Pack 3), so theoretically if you installed Windows XP (Service Pack 3) you could then install MYOB onto the same Virtual Box and run it, thus being able to access your database.

As for MYOB itself, I have no idea whether you have to register it as you install it. If you do then sure, you'd need a legal copy of that too.

As for other old applications, games, etcetera. If you know which version of Windows they were coded to run with, then yes, installing that version of Windows and the application or game would in theory work fine.

You can also install a Virtual DOS Box and run old DOS games too Or a Virtual Commodore 64 environment. (actually that reminds me there was this one game with 100+ levels I never mastered :rolleyes:)

The other possibility is that someone has created a Third Party application designed to open documents from MYOB. Such an application may work within the Windows 10 OS, so you could look into that via Google, Bing etcetera. Similar to how there are various programs that will open a MS Word doc, or docx files but those programs are not actually Microsoft Word.

If such a third party application does exist, just make sure you read the Terms of Service, and Privacy policies of the application creator, and should you choose to download and install the Third-party program, before installing, run a Virus Scan on it.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Cassarn,

By legal disks I was referring to disks for installing Windows 3.1, Windows NT, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98se, Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows XP, etcetera all the way up to Windows 8.1

You'll need legal disks given you would still need to register the installation.

From what I could tell your particular version of MYOB was coded to work with Windows XP (Service Pack 3), so theoretically if you installed Windows XP (Service Pack 3) you could then install MYOB onto the same Virtual Box and run it, thus being able to access your database.

As for MYOB itself, I have no idea whether you have to register it as you install it. If you do then sure, you'd need a legal copy of that too.

As for other old applications, games, etcetera. If you know which version of Windows they were coded to run with, then yes, installing that version of Windows and the application or game would in theory work fine.

You can also install a Virtual DOS Box and run old DOS games too Or a Virtual Commodore 64 environment. (actually that reminds me there was this one game with 100+ levels I never mastered :rolleyes:)

The other possibility is that someone has created a Third Party application designed to open documents from MYOB. Such an application may work within the Windows 10 OS, so you could look into that via Google, Bing etcetera. Similar to how there are various programs that will open a MS Word doc, or docx files but those programs are not actually Microsoft Word.

If such a third party application does exist, just make sure you read the Terms of Service, and Privacy policies of the application creator, and should you choose to download and install the Third-party program, before installing, run a Virus Scan on it.

Regards,

Regedit32
Hi Cassarn,

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
This all sounds extremely complicated and way beyond my limited knowledge, My laptop was windows 8 factory settings when I bought it a few months ago. Would it be easier to re-set to factory settings (thus reinstalling windows 8) and then I should be able to load the MYOB?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Cassarn,

From what I could tell from MYOB's site your Business 2004 program was written to be running with Windows XP, Service Pack 3. So using the recovery option to reinstall Windows 8 may not help you get your MYOB running.

Of course, if you all ready know it was running in Windows 8, then yes sure, that would be an option.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question