Batch file from network drive

Reaction score
Hello. I have an odd problem on my Windows network that I have not been able to solve.

I run AWStats 7.9 to produce reports from my Apache 2.4 web server which is running on Windows 11. This past week I moved all the web data from a local drive which was running out of space to a networked drive on my NAS server. The move went well. A network drive is mapped for the SYSTEM account with a Windows task that runs a login batch file at startup. This works because the Apache web server service starts just fine.

AWStats runs from a batch file on the networked drive. The command line calls PERL from the C: drive. Only PERL is on the local drives. Everything else related to AWStats is on the networked drive including the batch file that runs it, the server logs, and the output directories.

The batch file runs successfully from a Windows task on three of eight Windows computers on the network. It fails at the AWStats command line on the other five.

Of the five that fail, one is Windows 11, the others are Windows 10. This appears to be a Windows problem since the network batch file runs on three machines just fine.

I've pretty much tried everything I can think of to get the five failing machines to run this batch job. All the files on the network have Everyone permissions for now so its not a file permission issue. All 8 computers have the same Local Account name.

How is it even possible that one batch file will run on some machines and fail on others?

What else can i look at to try and solve this problem?

Thanks.

Reaction score
The one thing I've ran into with my NAS drive [connected to Router via Ethernet cable] is computers losing the Mapping of a folder on it. I map Z:\DRIVENAME\Public\ with a number of folders in that. Sometimes restarting File Explorer reconnects and sometimes need to reboot the computer. I use Win10, Win11, occasionally Win7, from both Wired and Wireless Router connections.

Reaction score
The one thing I've ran into with my NAS drive [connected to Router via Ethernet cable] is computers losing the Mapping of a folder on it. I map Z:\DRIVENAME\Public\ with a number of folders in that. Sometimes restarting File Explorer reconnects and sometimes need to reboot the computer. I use Win10, Win11, occasionally Win7, from both Wired and Wireless Router connections.
Thanks for your reply.

The issue of drive mapping consistency was investigated and found not to be the cause. The drive mappings on all 8 computers is the same and stable. The Apache web service is much more sensitive to irregularities than a batch file or Perl script would be. The main web server is one of the 5 machines where AWStats will not run from the network batch file.

All environment variables such as PATH and PATHEXT have been duplicated from a machine that does work, however this did not solve the problem. There is something on 5 of my computers than causes AWStats to fail to run with a syntax error. I also tried running AWStats with all the needed data including a valid web log on a local C: drive with the same result.

Something on the 5 computers and within Windows is preventing AWStats from running. Perl is confirmed ok by running other scripts successfully both from the local drive and the network drive.

I've been working on this for weeks. I have tried things that are logical and not so logical without success.

Reaction score

Ask a Question