Need mouse-hover-activate-window script/batch file

Reaction score
In order to activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse, one must open the Control Panel, select Ease of Access Center, click Make the mouse easier to use, tick the box Activate a window hovering over it. Finally, click OK and close the Control Panel. This is six mouse clicks.

To stop the activation of a window by mouse hovering, one goes through the same steps but unticks the Activate a window box. This is another six mouse clicks.

This exercise changes the first hex octet of the UserPreferenceMask in the registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop from 9e to df. If one manually makes this edit in the registry, or saves out the registry key in order to double click it to invoke the edit, nothing takes effect until one either reboots the computer or logs out and back into Windows. However, the Windows system immediately activates the change when one clicks OK in the Make the mouse easier to use window inside the Control Panel.

Can someone explain what process Windows is using to cause the mouse-hover-activation to take immediate effect when using the GUI method to activate/deactivate this feature? Since I frequently switch between turning the hover function on and off, I would like have a simple batch file type of thing where I could just double-click a hover-on or hover-off file to easily accomplish this task without having to go through all the clicking or logging out and in. Is this a scripting issue using PowerShell, or how can this be accomplished?
Extractions of the registry keys are attached as text files.

Attachments

• Activate.txt
    14.7 KB · Views: 185
  • De-Activate.txt
    14.7 KB · Views: 161
Reaction score
Just a note, the change/s in the Registry require rebooting/signing out as the data is held in memory and has to be refreshed. Many choices in the Settings take care of that process themselves, maybe noted by the absence of Okay/OK button in the panels and closing gives that effect.

The Registry
1615042275665.png

Ask a Question