SOLVED HDD only seen in device manager, need to assign letter, but no volume information found

Reaction score
so i just installed a 250 gb samsung 860 evo ssd, and now my 2 tb seagate barracuda hdd isn't working. Device manager and bios see the drive, but disk manager, and command prompt don't. i need to assign a letter to the drive, but there appears to be no volume information to be found on the drive. its connected via sata on a strix z270 mobo. i just want to have my ssd be my boot drive, and everything be saved on the hdd, and i broke it. can anyone please help? thank you in advance!

Reaction score
Hi Airlacher,

what is showing in Computer Management > Disk Management?. :cool:

1611391851785.png

Reaction score
Hi Airlacher,

what is showing in Computer Management > Disk Management?. :cool:

View attachment 13104
hello there. drive C: is the only drive visible. the bottom half with the partition breakdown is just for C: drive. no other drives listed. partitions, yes. drives, no. Device manager sees the drive, as does the bios, but not command prompt or disk management

Reaction score
Was that drive new or from a different computer? When I see difficult issues I will boot to a GPARTED LiveCD or plug the drive into a USB dock attached to my Linux Mint which has GPARTED installed to check if any partitions exist or if none create and format as needed.

Reaction score
Was that drive new or from a different computer? When I see difficult issues I will boot to a GPARTED LiveCD or plug the drive into a USB dock attached to my Linux Mint which has GPARTED installed to check if any partitions exist or if none create and format as needed.
I'm not entirely sure of that answer. The HDD was an Xmas gift, that i believe was brand new, but to my knowledge, it was knew with no previous partitions or anything akin to.

Reaction score
My guess based on the images it is either a bad drive or a bad port on the motherboard.
I thought that might've been the case as well, but i checked the other sata ports, and they're fine. i checked other connections in that port, and they're fine as well. The HDD had been working perfectly fine until installed the SSD and messed everything up lol

Reaction score
Well, its a Seagate and they CAN fail from one minute to the other. You might want to get the Seagate Utilites from here:

disconnect the SSD then boot from the USB stick or CD created and run the utilities. then you can be sure that your drive is ok or bad...

Reaction score
so i just installed a 250 gb samsung 860 evo ssd, and now my 2 tb seagate barracuda hdd isn't working. Device manager and bios see the drive, but disk manager, and command prompt don't. i need to assign a letter to the drive, but there appears to be no volume information to be found on the drive. its connected via sata on a strix z270 mobo. i just want to have my ssd be my boot drive, and everything be saved on the hdd, and i broke it. can anyone please help? thank you in advance!
So apparently I just needed to delete the storage pool to which it had been allocated. I'm still learning how these things actually work, but I very much appreciate everyone's input, insights, and suggestions. In any case, I learned several things I didn't know previously. Thank you all very much!

Reaction score
Hi Airlacher,

if the problem is resolved, please mark the thread as solved so it helps others. :)

Ask a Question