SOLVED CANNOT INSTALL WINDOWS 10 ON NEW HDD

Reaction score
Malware erased operating system. Took a hdd that had previously been used for storage on another computer. Did a quick format and replaced bad hdd drive. When I try to install windows from a windows disk I get the followig message: "reboot and select proper device or insert boot media in selected device and press a key." I have tried using an acronis backup disk, but get the same message. Please help. Thank yuou.

Reaction score
Assuming you try to boot from CD/DVD, you only get this message when the boot sequence is not correct. In your case I believe the first boot device is your hard drive and not the optical drive. Not knowing what pc you have there are two options:

1. change the boot priority to cd/dvd in the BIOS
2. when starting up, pressing a certain [Fx} key will get you in the boot menu where you can choose the appropriate boot device.

However, if your optical drive is not recognized, you get the message too. In that case check connections and make sure the optical drive is registered in the BIOS.

Reaction score
Also check that the SATA and power cables are sitting correctly in the HDD and on the mobo!. ;)

Reaction score
Hi livingem,

you marked this as solved but haven't told us how you did it?. :eek:

Reaction score
What kind of tool did you download??
You said, the HDD was not bootable. It never is when there is no system installed.
When I try to install windows from a windows disk I get the followig message:
That told me that you tried to install with an optical drive which lead me to my advice. It seems that we are missing important information that will end up with the wrong conclusion.

HDD was not bootaable. Downloaded Windows tool to make hdd bootable.

Does that mean you restored the system with your acronis backup disk??

Reaction score
What kind of tool did you download??
You said, the HDD was not bootable. It never is when there is no system installed.

That told me that you tried to install with an optical drive which lead me to my advice. It seems that we are missing important information that will end up with the wrong conclusion.

Does that mean you restored the system with your acronis backup disk??
Windows 10 repair tool made the drive bootable and instaled windows 10.

Ask a Question