Want to transfer hdd contents to new laptop

Reaction score
My current laptop being a Dell and new laptop a HP.

I want to transfer everything from a sata hdd to the new sdd and including Windows Pro, any programs and emails etc already up and running, saving having to re-install them all.

Can this be done

Reaction score
Well, since you have a new computer with complete new hardware, the serial from the DELL will no longer be valid. Does the HP has the same version on it as the Dell (pro version)? if yes, you could try and put the old Dell-SSD into the HP and start it up. There will be a lot of new driver installation done before the computer is running. However, before you do that , make an Image of the old SSD in case you have to restore it.
In the case that everything works out so far, you just have to add the new serial as the old Dell OEM serial will not work with the HP as the HP has its own OEM serial.
THIS IS ONLY GONNA WORK IF BOTH ARE PRO VERSIONS. If the HP has a Home version, you have to go the long road and setup the HP with all your email accounts etc from scratch.

Reaction score
thanks.
The Dell did have the Home version of Windows and I purchased the Pro upgrade, also the hdd is not a ssd drive.
The HP has the Home version with a ssd drive.

Was hoping the Pro serial would be transferable to the HP and that the Dell would revert back to Home.

Also I have Macrium, if the current data on the Dell could be cloned or just certain directories.

Reaction score
Your best bet is to clone the hard drive to your new SSD Here is a video that shows you how.
Cloning a disk using Macrium Reflect 7 - YouTube
Follow directions you'll have no issues and be up and running on your new SSD in about 20 minutes
With Cloning, you won't have any issues keeping your Pro version you will be automatically Activated because you new SSD is a clone of your hard drive Windows won't even notice the difference
Reading your 2nd post you're active for Pro on the Dell so that won't activate on the HP the Windows is only good for one computer the activation servers has the imprint of the Dell and the HP so they will not be transferable
MR has a feature for restoring an Image to different Hardware, this seldom goes will on notebooks, even it did it probably would deactivate and request a new product ID

All that said, you Have MR make good images of Both computers and give it a try if it fails you can go back with the images you created before attempting.
Really you should do the right thing and purchase a new Pro upgrade its only $99
You would have to deal with Windows Store as to perhaps moving your Pro upgrade it may be possible I have never tried

Last edited:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I want to transfer everything from a sata hdd to the new sdd and including Windows Pro
You can't do thatm (the OS)....as the OS is OEM and tied to the laptop.

My concern with cloning the Dell to the HP is the drivers.......it may or may not work. I've not personally done it.

Really you should do the right thing and purchase a new Pro upgrade its only $99
I totally agree with my colleague with that statement. IMO, it's your best option.

Reaction score
Treading on delicate ground here. But, you state you purchased the Pro?
I would suggest that you could deactivate the Dell pro, and use the same key to reactivate the cloned pro on your new HP.
In the past, if this failed to activate, a phone call to MS usually did the trick.

Just a guess, from antiquated memory. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
I would back up the files you want, install the SSD and do a clean install of the 10 by downloading the media tool and making a flash drive with the current OS. The drives from the Dell could cause a lot of issues on the HP.If you have to activate the pro and you used windows to login, you can contact MS and have them deactivate the Dell and move the activation to the HP. If they tell you there is a charge, then you are not talking to microsoft and get out, Microsoft doesn't charge for stuff like this.

Reaction score
Thanks,
I have copied to my caddy all my folders 'photos', 'music' and etc.

I purchased a Windows Pro with a key to insert for the upgrade on the Dell and want to transfer this to the new HP. This was purchased from an offer via Cleverbirdge/Microsoft.

I have read I could do this as shown in the link below. What happens about a Key to continue with Windows Home as originally as I am giving the Dell to a family member.

thanks again

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Dell will revert back to the original oem home licence. You will probably need to reinstall it, if there is no longer a backup from the factory or retailer

Reaction score
if you upgraded the dell and then transferred to the HP, I think you lose the Dell license altogether, I don't know because I have never done that. in my situation I've always had a constant supply of windows 7 pro COA's to use for activation of 10 pro. I deal in used laptops and most of them had a windows 7 pro COA and I kept the COA from those that were beyond fixing. A lot of people around here, think that a 3 year old laptop is old and it will cost them $20 to scrap it so they give them to me. Some get sold as scrap metal for 75 cents a pound and some I fix up and sell but most have COA's. I did give one antique that still booted windows 3.1 to a local museum (it's 4 shelves at a local repair shop} because I didn't have the heart to scrap it, there was no COA on that one though.

Ask a Question