SOLVED transfer files-Filename Is Too Long

Reaction score
Hi,
I use windows 10, and I have a problem while trying to transfer files(800 G) from my laptop to another new one(win 10) via LAN,
I tried to do the normal copy and also tried with Robocopy , both the two ways give a message like "Filename Is Too Long ",
Thanks

Reaction score
Historically a file name was 8.3, only 8 characters for the name and 3 characters for the extension. That started changing with Win95 and WinNT4 or 2000. The name usually is limited to 255 characters but in some cases of copying/moving files the whole path to the file can be a stumbling block, have had success in moving a file to a different folder, not a subfolder, to shorten that path.

Reaction score
Historically a file name was 8.3, only 8 characters for the name and 3 characters for the extension. That started changing with Win95 and WinNT4 or 2000. The name usually is limited to 255 characters but in some cases of copying/moving files the whole path to the file can be a stumbling block, have had success in moving a file to a different folder, not a subfolder, to shorten that path.
I have experience with " shorten that path ", it didn't help, because I need everything to copy as it
thanks for your helpful info

Reaction score
It's more work and time involved but I've had success in compressing multiple files in a folder into one file then moving or copying that file into the destination folder followed by decompressing it there. Win10 File Explorer should be able to handle it or get the free 7-Zip.

Reaction score
Reaction score
It's more work and time involved but I've had success in compressing multiple files in a folder into one file then moving or copying that file into the destination folder followed by decompressing it there. Win10 File Explorer should be able to handle it or get the free 7-Zip.
this is a solution that can be applied for smaller folders, compressing and decompressing will take so much time and I can't be sure that everything will be copied as the same Historically on the source? do you think it worth to try

Reaction score
Hi guys
Thanks for your helpful solutions which directed me after a full search to find gs richcopy360 , it works fine with me, all data copied successfully without any problems or error messages,, I feel good now

Ask a Question