SOLVED Transfering Files from Win 10 to Lesser Win versions

Reaction score
I need to transfer Word and PowerPoint files (created in Win 10) to a friend who has a lesser version of Windows. Obviously I cannot burn these files to a CD without extra software. What are my options to get these computer files to my friend? Will Win 8 be able to open Win10 files?

Reaction score
If your PC has a CD burner ( and your friend has a CD reader) then just load a blank CD, copy the files to that drive and W10 can burn them in a standard format.

Or buy a couple of Thumb drives. If they are to be opened on Windows 8 then I would only get 32 Gb ones. (less that $10 each)

Depends on the versions of Office on the two machines. A safe way is to make copies of the files in the format of the receiving Office. I.e if you are using Office 16 and the target is using Office 2003 make copies in Office 2003 format. Doing a Save As will give you the format choice...but it may whine and complain about losing some formatting...I'd ignore that.

Reaction score
As for a CD, if the files are too large or too many use a DVD disc. For most needs sharing with others always use the -R or +R discs, not the RW.
R = Recordable, once RW = ReWriteable, can be erased and used again.
CD-R holds up to about 700MB, DVD up to about 4.2GB, DVD+R DL/Dual-Layer up to about 8GB.

Reaction score
Yes, Bighorn...but a thumb drive holds a lot more, is at least as reliable and is reusable for years!

Reaction score
If your PC has a CD burner ( and your friend has a CD reader) then just load a blank CD, copy the files to that drive and W10 can burn them in a standard format.

Or buy a couple of Thumb drives. If they are to be opened on Windows 8 then I would only get 32 Gb ones. (less that $10 each)

Depends on the versions of Office on the two machines. A safe way is to make copies of the files in the format of the receiving Office. I.e if you are using Office 16 and the target is using Office 2003 make copies in Office 2003 format. Doing a Save As will give you the format choice...but it may whine and complain about losing some formatting...I'd ignore that.

Reaction score
Thanks so much. It makes sense. Sure wish you lived next door to me to help me through my computing dilemmas!

Reaction score
That can be done easily if you wish to do via cloud ways. Just get your drive app in your iPhone/phone or just have an account, then upload it from your pc and you can send without burning or any such hardcore pieces of stuff. Also, the end users will have the power to access it from his google drive app or pc whichever we feel comfortable.

With Regards,
Protar

Ask a Question