Transferring the external hard drive (weird problem with a few files)

Reaction score
So, I've got a weird problem.

Brand New i7 laptop (~$1800) with a 500GB SSD external drive attached using USB 3.1 type C port (not bragging, just saying it so you don't tell me I got bad specs).

Try to download a multi-GB zip file to the external drive. No luck on several attempts. Download to main hard drive and still can't copy-paste. Try to extract files to external drive and I need to skip half a dozen. Extract those 6 to he internal drive and still can't copy them. They are .WAV files and I keep getting error 0x80070079. I've tried a few of the proposed fixes online: https://www.google.com/search?q=err...ndow=1&q=error+0x80070079+external+hard+drive

I should also mention I have explorer freezing up repeatedly the past day I tried to get this to work.

How on earth did I get into this situation? I work in a small communications department and they just asked me to film a few videos of the organization for promotion and a buddy elsewhere filmed some with separate audio tracks

Reaction score
Note: they keep getting to a certain point (varies for file but odd points like 65% or 79% then stop transferring.

Reaction score
What is the format of the external drive? Should be NTFS. Presumably it is just a simple partition and Disc manager sees it as such?

Reaction score
What is the format of the external drive? Should be NTFS. Presumably it is just a simple partition and Disc manager sees it as such?
It's exFat but it seems like there is something weird with those files basically I'm opening them in an audio editor and changing them ever so slightly then saving them. This is messed up but I'm already behind on work & promised this video by Monday (I usually work Saturdays so don't feel bad for me).

Reaction score
Can you clear the external drive and reformat NTFS. This might solve your problem...might... It has been a long time since I used anything but NTFS on Windows.

Reaction score
Is this an Apple system? I assume an external drive which is PC compatible would work normally if you are using Win 10.

Reaction score
I have been reading up on the exFAT since I have never used it. Seems Microsoft has the license and is allowing drive manufacturers to use the file system on certain types of drives.

So, perhaps the problem is related to the type of files you are working with. Maybe some type of indexing or security situation is involved.

ERROR_SEM_TIMEOUT
121 (0x79)

The semaphore timeout period has expired.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have been reading up on the exFAT since I have never used it. Seems Microsoft has the license and is allowing drive manufacturers to us the file system on certain types of drives.

So, perhaps the problem is related to the type of files you are working with. Maybe some type of indexing or security situation is involved.

ERROR_SEM_TIMEOUT
121 (0x79)

The semaphore timeout period has expired.

Probably. about half the .wav files didn't transfer but I just opened them in an editor and converted them to MP3: a nasty, long process but I needed them there today.

Ask a Question