SOLVED Copying and transferring files between 2 external hard drives

Reaction score
With Win7 I used to open one external drive, then through My computer locate the other drive. I would have each drive on its own window. I could then select relevant files on one drive copy and paste into the other drive. With Win10 if I click on File explorer I can open one external drive, where can I locate the other drive to put in a separate window. If I click on the other drive, it just opens it in the same window. Win7 and previous versions used to be so simple.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You can simply right click the other drive on the left side navigation pane and choose "Open in new window" from the context menu.

Reaction score
With Win10 if I click on File explorer I can open one external drive, where can I locate the other drive to put in a separate window.
You can simply right click the other drive on the left side navigation pane and choose "Open in new window" from the context menu.
After opening in a new window, drag one of the windows to the edge of your screen to force task view. Select the other window, and voila, you have both windows side by side so you can easily copy/move files back and forth.

Reaction score
After opening in a new window, drag one of the windows to the edge of your screen to force task view. Select the other window, and voila, you have both windows side by side so you can easily copy/move files back and forth.
Thank you, easy peasy. Wonderful to get so much help.

Reaction score
If you use the function a lot, (I do) another quick and lazy option is to right click each drive and drag the cursor to the desktop, and create a shortcut for each. They can be renamed then, to the hd designations.

Reaction score
I guess you won't have issues for a free upgrade no matter to your iOS or Android or personal computer. Same this side win 10 upgrades is free, just get it done via someone in case you don't know. As for me am trying the same but on windows 10 didn't face any such issues.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help eveThank you so much for this. I was into this issue and tired to tinker around to check if its possible but couldnt get it done. Now that i have seen the way you did it, thanks guys
with
regardsryone!

Ask a Question