SOLVED Copying DVDs to an external hard file.

Reaction score
Recently I sent my old 8mm and VHF tapes, all home movies , out to be converted to DVDs. When they are returned I would like to copy them onto my external hard drive. Do I need special software to accomplish this ( they will not have any copy write restrictions )? Is it an easy process?? Any help will be appreciated …. Keep in mind, I am old enough to have 8mm film …. So easy on the technical jargon.

Tks much

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Should be as easy as dragging and dropping the contents of the DVD to where ever you want to copy it to.
( they will not have any copy write restrictions )?
That is an important consideration and something you might want to confirm with whom ever you are paying to do the work.
They might use something to prevent you from dubbing their hard work, so I'd want to make sure that they don't.
Contact them and explain what you intend to do and ask them if they see any problem with copying the contents to an external hard disk.
I would think not, but it's good to confirm.

Reaction score
Thanks for your prompt response. I double checked with the company doing the conversion …. No copy write …. No restrictions. So I guess it is similar to dragging a photo or a Excel spreadsheet I want to save to the external hard file. Hey, I can manage that!

Thanks again for your help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Curious to find out what file extension / format the product will take when finished.
I really don't remember if 8mm had a sound component to the recording or if it was strictly video.
In any event, if you would keep us posted as to the final results.

Reaction score
No sound on 8 MM ... they will dub in some background music. It will take a month but I will report back. I plan to make copies for our three children and then have the grandchildren watch their parents when they were young. Hopefully it will be a nice Christmas present or at least a surprise. Thanks again.

Ask a Question