Transferring my Windows to another Laptop

Reaction score
My current laptop is slowly dying where its keyboard sometimes has a mind of its own where to place the cursor when doing such as this thread.

As I have recently upgraded to Win 10 Pro and if when I purchase a new laptop which normally have Win 10 Home editions. Can I transfer my Win 10 Pro along with all my files to the new.

thanks

Reaction score
It will depend on whether the Pro license is Retail or OEM.
Did you upgrade to Pro via the MS store? If so is the underlying Home license Retail or OEM?
If OEM then unfortunately you cannot transfer it to the new PC. If Retail then yes you can transfer it. Ensure you log in with a Microsoft account in order to ‘register’ the license to your account, when you upgrade it should pick up the license. If not & you don’t have a Pro key then you can try entering the default Pro key VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T.

Reaction score
Thanks.
I purchased via Computer-active Mag from MS with a key and I have full key and receipt.

Reaction score
If you purchased Pro it would be Retail (the Home one they sold was OEM) & you can easily transfer it. Technically you’d just need to enter the key to activate Pro.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
As I have recently upgraded to Win 10 Pro
What was on it before 7/8/10. Usually if one takes the upgrade path, it's an OEM upgrade. This is if you used the upgraded OS version which is different from the standard/regular Windows 1O OEM.

Reaction score
Then you can transfer the license.
Ensure first that you’re signing in to the current PC with a MIcrosoft account & if the old PC is still running to remove the key:
On your old PC:
Click the Start Button, type cmd then right click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as Administrator'
Run this command and hit Enter:
slmgr /upk
When that completes, close Command Prompt

That command will have removed your licence from that PC and no one can retrieve it

The only other way is to use a trial version of Macrium Reflect & use their Redeploy feature to transfer everything.

Reaction score
Hi there,
You can shift to any windows by these steps,
Step 1: Sign in with Microsoft to streamline your experience
Step 2: Bring your files and favorites with you
Some Option you have- Backup feature and One Drive
Step 3: Install the programs and apps you love like Microsoft Office or google chrome after setting up of new windows.

Reaction score
As I have recently upgraded to Win 10 Pro and if when I purchase a new laptop which normally have Win 10 Home editions. Can I transfer my Win 10 Pro along with all my files to the new.
What I have done with more than a couple computers in changing from Home to Pro has been to get into System then the Change product key or upgrade your edition of Windows. I then entered a valid Product Key for Pro. There was no reinstall of Windows needed and didn't take long to change, just let it rewrite the Registry and activate some more features. In the case of changing a retail key to another computer may be no more inconvenient than a phone call to Microsoft. [Got the process from a tutorial]
1602248159550.png

Ask a Question