Transferring Libraries from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Reaction score
Is there an easy way to transfer the contents of the libraries on my old computer (Windows 7) to my new one (Windows 10)? All the files have been transferred to the new computer and are in the same location as on the old one.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Libraries are simply pointers to physical locations, typically defaults are C:\Users\YourUserName (the folders located there) although you can and may have added other locations to your "Libraries".
It is usually a relatively simple matter of copying the contents of, say for instance.....
C:\Users\YourUserName\Music onto an external resource (SD card, USB Thumb Drive, USB external hard disk, etc) and then from there into their respective containers (same place) on your "new one".
Just be mindful of how you handle potential duplicates.

Reaction score
I tried copying the contents onto an external drive and then transferring that information to the new computer in libraries and it works as long as I have the external drive attached. If the drive is removed, the content of libraries disappears too. My problem is that the contents of each category in libraries is made up of files from all sorts of different areas on my computer, eg, photos, Word documents, PDFs etc and it would be a nightmare to have to find them all again. There are thousands of files.

Ask a Question