SOLVED Installing SSD to Replace HDD in Dell 3847

Reaction score
The hd in my Dell 3847 is making a noise like the “bearings” are tired and ready to quit. I purchased a Samsung 860 EVO ssd to replace it. I would like to clone the hd onto the ssd but I’m not sure what software to use to clone, any suggestions? I read that Samsung has migration software but i don’t want to just move data, I want to move everything over to the new ssd...

Reaction score
I have used Paragon in the past. Now I would use Macrium as I have licensed copies for backup.

Reaction score
Samsung offers a cloning Software, they call it "Data Migration". I do not know how successful this is as I have never used it although I have some EVO SSD's.

Reaction score
Samsung "Data Migration" works very well, Acronis TH Image also, Paragon HD Manager also, SnapShot also,
I prefer MiniToolPartition Wizard,
the main thing is suggestion:
Print the instruction of which ever program you want to use.
and READ THEM CAREFULLY,

Reaction score
In my experience, I went from Ghost to Acronis THI, to Macrium Reflect the free version is all you need to clone or create images and restore images. I pay for it only because I use it for my primary local scheduled back up routine.

Reaction score
Thanks, I’m going to use Acronis True Image, it is my backup software and I forgot it has the cloning feature.
Thanks to all who offered up suggestion!

Reaction score
I tried Acronis TI three times and it kept freezing when it was “locking c:”
I downloaded the Samsung Migration software and it worked perfectly!
It took 1 hour and 40 minutes to clone my hdd that was holding over 500 gbs of data. Im not a pc geek so I needed something simple, but now I know the difference between a GPT and a MBR initialized dd.

Ask a Question