Attached Ssd For A Clone, And W10 Starts 'installing Drivers'?

Reaction score
the laptop has an SSD, and then i attached another one via USB3 port to clone the one in the laptop.

immediately a message came up that 'device drivers being installed' or something similar.

the ssd i attached did have an old windows installation on it, but i have never had a laptop suddenly start installing anything just from attaching an ssd to a USB port. i have cloned often from win7.

>>>>what was being installed, to where, and for what purpose ?? i quickly hit the cancel button fearing i would ruin my new windows 10 install.

even more scary, it looked as if it was going to take a long time, as if i had started something i did not want. i hope it did not leave any junk anywhere? thanks in advance for replies.

Reaction score
If you attach a device that has not been setup previously, it will install drivers for that device. The same thing happens when you connect a USB thumb drive. There is nothing to be worried about.

Ask a Question