Can't open pdf when they are attached to an email

Reaction score
When someone sends me an email with a pdf doc attached I can't open the pdf. I get an erro message saying it may already be open???, or I don't have permission???? This just started happening a couple of months ago, before that, no problem.

Reaction score
Hi Trucksrcul,

make sure you save the file to disk before you try and open it, if it is already open in e-Mail format, you won't be able to open with another app unless you close the e-Mail first. Scan any attachments for viruses before saving/opening!. :):):)

Reaction score
I use MsOutlook (Desktop) and Edge as my viewer. Without further configuration, I can open PDF attachments. on the fly.
But, reading you error message, that it maybe already open - (is that correct, or does it say it is already open?), try holding the mouse key a little longer over the attachment. You should get a message that it can be save or viewed.
In Windows 10, the default viewer should be Edge, unless you have changed it.
Your mention of security, can also be something you may need to change in the Email client options.

Last edited:

Ask a Question